Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #1 
PeiMai

Water Changes

Ok he made it through the second day and we are on to the third....should I be doing a water change today??If so, how much, what percentage?
2 gallon tank
had under gravel filter but it seems to disturb him even with a knot in the air line it seems to be too much current and bubbles. I'm thinking about doing a 50% water change today. Is it too soon?
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #2 
sebamd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeiMai View Post
Ok he made it through the second day and we are on to the third....should I be doing a water change today??If so, how much, what percentage?
2 gallon tank
had under gravel filter but it seems to disturb him even with a knot in the air line it seems to be too much current and bubbles. I'm thinking about doing a 50% water change today. Is it too soon?
What does the kit measures?

I do think on a 2Gal a 50% at day 3 and 100% at day 7 with ammonia and nitrates/nitrites on safe levels is ok.

If ammonia accumulates too fast then a 50% at days 2 and 4 followed by a 100% at
day 6 or 7.

Now if your tank seems to be cycled (all levels on safe parameters) then a 25% will suffice.

That's my opinion from research and a little experience, but maybe oldfishlady might have a more experienced answer.
sebamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #3 
PeiMai

I'm looking at him right now and thinking that I might have to bite the bullet and have two tanks set up for a few weeks while the ten gallon cycles. I'm seriously thinking about setting up, building a baffle for the power filter and just biting the bullet.
I finally got this little hex tank going good now and don't know if I want to try and set up the ten for him.
Would also mean that I can bring this one back....or try to find another
Old 08-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #4 
Campbell

IMO I would wait one more day. He's getting use to his new home and needs a little more time to settle. Do a 100% change tomorrow. I have two 2.5 gallons and I do a 50% and 100% changes per week. I haven't had any problems.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #5 
PeiMai

That's kind of what I've been worried about is that he is just getting used to everything and here I go changing it all on him.
The other thing is that I have been running the filter, have a cup of gravel in there from an established tank and the ammonia levels have been low while the nitrites are non existent and the nitrates seem to be at an established level
Old 08-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #6 
PeiMai

Just changed out about 50% of the water treated it with Seachem Nuetralizer and Prime conditioner. Let's see how it goes.