Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #11 
XSprinkleFaceX

Lol it does. I just want to be like "NO! BAD FINN" and put a muzzle on him (As previously mentioned) I feel so bad! and I'm afraid he might get sick or something. He's a really good fish and though I've only had him for a month, I've gotten really attatched to him and him to me. I know he may "just be a fish" but he has alot of trust in me and when I'm gone for the day and I come home he does this happy dance swim thing as if he misses me. We have a good connection. :)
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #12 
prettylittlefishy

I have 4 bettas total. 1 bites his tail. Apollo my red one does. I use AS after he goes on a "bite frenzy" then he's ok again for a little bit. Then the cycle repeats.

As for the happy dance, my Duke and Blade do that. "Apollo is just like ehhhhh whatever he's just that person that feeds me and takes care of me."
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #13 
1fish2fish

Freddie is my guy who is the worst tail biter and he's never gotten sick from doing it. Just make sure you always have clean water and maybe look into getting some IAL for his tank and you should be ok. Cycling the tank would really help because then your water quality would improve, giving less opportunity for infection to set in.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #14 
prettylittlefishy

I didn't for these four bettas, but I'm buying an expensive halfmoon from Aquabid so I'm cycling that tank now (fishless).

BTW thank you for the ping pong thing! Its really funny to see them play with them lol.
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #15 
Hankbetta

Yeah, I found out a couple months ago that Charlie is a tail biter, it's weird to see him do it too. He spins in circles then just nips the ends of his tail. I bought a ping pong ball, it just sits there in his tank, I don't think he's too interested.
I also do the weekly %50 water changes, use both stress coat and stress zyme, also 2 teaspoons of aquarium salt, so every time he does bite his tail, it usually heals within a couple days, then he starts biting again.
I also do the weekly changes of scenery as well as give him 3-5 minutes of mirror time. I also bought a dimmer light.

So I've pretty much got all my bases covered, and he still bites :(

PS,
I have had Charlie for almost a year now.
Hankbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #16 
1fish2fish

Tail biting is common among long finned bettas, especially ones from pet stores. This is why many people don't breed pet store bettas. Some forms of tail biting are thought to be genetic so its best not to breed a fish that bites its tail unless you know for 100% certain that it was non-genetic factors (high filter flow, boredom, stress, etc) that caused the biting.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #17 
Kiara123

do you have other fish ? or one in another tank because that happend to mine wen i put anotherone besite his tank
Kiara123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #18 
XSprinkleFaceX

No i don't Kiara123. He's all on his lonesome. As for today he hasn't bitten his tail (crosses fingers) it looks like his healing. I've covered up every possible reflection on his tank...I think that's what it's been. Also I turned his light off earlier today so...that my help too. Hopefully he doesn't do it anymore. I still need to get the pingpong balls...Finn would love it since he's such a curious little fish.
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #19 
gahcrazy

This might sound like i'm atempting to be funny, but i'm not. The first male that i bought was a tailbiter, (rip scooter) i tried everything and more. Since the long fins are not natural, i determind that He just didn't like all that Junk in his trunk! it was always after it grew out that he would start biting. anyhow, good luck.
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #20 
1fish2fish

That's one of the theories.. that bettas don't like lugging around all the fin. IMO if a fish is perfectly healthy and in good form he should have no problem with long fins. That's why I think its at least partly genetic.