Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #1 
LMac54

Unhappy Tail biting or a Tear?? HELP!!

So, I just moved all three of my bettas into my divided 10gal two days ago. Seaking (male) on one side, Corsola (female) in the middle, and Gyarados (male) on the other side. Tank is cycled and I've been monitoring the ammonia and nitrates. Everything in terms of levels and temperatures have been fine.

I came home tonight from being out of the house all day to find Seaking's tail shredded!! I'm kind of baffled!

Is it tearing? In his side of the tank there's one silk plant, one plastic plant (tested safe), a coconut moss cave from PetCo, 2 marimo balls and a PVC pipe tunnel. Could he somehow have teared up his tail? Gyarados has the same set-up on his side, but he's fine.

Could it be tail biting from being moved from his original tank? That'd be strange because his original tank was a 1.25gal (which for a month he shared divided space with Gyarados), and now in this new tank he has 3.3gal of space... give or take substrate space.

Could it be stress from being next to my female? He and Gyarados can see her where the plastic mesh meets the glass and a little bit through the mesh... and both have been making bubble nests like crazy, but Seaking's have been HUGE. Is he sexually frustrated??? Gyarados hasn't been biting his tail though!

He's not near the filter intake at all (it's in the middle with the female).

Some help? I don't have any good BEFORE pictures of Seaking besides the one in my avatar which I took in May... but here are pictures from tonight.

So upset... he's got the biggest fins of my bettas and he goes and gets them all torn/bitten off. What should I do? Should I move him back into his 1.25gal?
Attached Images

LMac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:26 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

Looks like tail bitting to me. Don't they know much much we don't like it? Ugh!
If he wa ok before with a male next to him, why don't you move that male where the female is?
Put Gyarados and Seaking next to each other and Corsola in the end next to Seaking since Seaking doesn't seem to be bothered enough to bite his tail for now.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:21 AM   #3 
newfiedragon

Looks like tail biting to me too. One of my guys does it ALL THE TIME!!! In fact, when I woke up this morning the first thing I saw was him swimming around with a shredded tail...after just looking at him last night and thinking that his tail was healing up nicely from last time.

I swear that fish can read my mind...
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #4 
Neelie

looks like biting alright. defo add some AQ salt to prevent any other disease as it looks very fresh. nothing much you can do tbh apart from clean water...
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #5 
Welsh

He is gorgeous I agree with the others before me that it definately looks like tail biting my little guy used to do it but then I added some new deco and a lot more plants and now he's good as gold, his tail is even growing back You may already know but just keep his water clean and warm to prevent it turning into something nastier, a little AQ salt wouldn't hurt either. Good Luck
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #6 
Sarada

Yup he's a biter...mine stopped when I removed their filters.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #7 
LMac54

Ugh. So annoying!!

I have live plants in the tank. Is it okay to put AQ salt in there?? They're Marimo balls and moss caves.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #8 
Sarada

Best to treat in a different place and do 100% water changes for a while.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #9 
Welsh

Yeah I agree with Sarada. I always find treating a fish in a quarantine tank is the easiest way, also if there is something in the fish tank that isn't good with salt then you won't end up killing it, which is always my problem lol.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #10 
LMac54

But... I did just move him into this new tank and I think he's biting out of this stress... Wouldn't it be counter-productive to take him out?