Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #1 
emeltee

Can you cycle a 2.5 gal tank?

I currently have a 2.5 gallon tank for my daughter's betta. Is it possible for me to cycle it?

If so, what would be involved?

If I get it to cycle, how often would I need to do water changes (and at what percentage.)

On the other hand, if I get a 5 gallon tank and do a fishless cycle on it while Prince is in his 2.5 gallon tank, how often would I have to change the 5 gallon tank once it is cycled?

Prince is doing well - making bubble nests, but sadly, I think I have killed Princess after doing a complete water change last night for her! Argh! I seem to have a knack for killing fish after water changes, as she is the 2nd one to have died after a complete water change.
emeltee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #2 
Neelie

ok, first off, a 2.5g is way too small to cycle. you'll be lucky to cycle a 5g. 10g is ideal for cycling imo. and you could always add some lil shrimp to make it all more lively. id opt for that. water changes in a cycled tank are less than uncycled of course but your still looking at 20% - 30% per week.

im sure some one else can help you more caus i am no expert when it comes to cycling.

as for your water changes and dying fish: do you use water conditioner everytime before you put your fish in? is the temp always around the 77degrees?

Last edited by Neelie; 08-14-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #3 
emeltee

Yep, water conditioner was used.

Funny thing is that I finally got a heater yesterday (waiting for my adjustable one to come via mail) and plopped it in Princess' tank. After I did the water change. I acclimated her to her new tank over the course of an hour.

Argh, I feel so horrible because I keep killing my daughter's fish.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #4 
Welsh

Yes it is possible to cycle a 2.5 gallon, I did it successfully and carried our 50% water changes twice weekly I kept RCS in the tank and none of these died, thankfully

Basically what you will need to do is set the tank up and let it run I cycled my tank by feeding the tank a few flakes of food every 12 hours, or you could use a piece of raw fish or shrimp. Usually a tank will take about a month to fully cycle but for a quicker way you could add substrate, decorations and filter media from an already estabilished tank, it took me a week to cycle my 6.5 gallon tank this way. If you have the API freshwater master kit to test your water, when the parameters read

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5-10

Then your tank is cycled and its safe to put in fish but usually a water change is recommended before adding the fish to rid of any high nitrates This is just a basic guideline from my own experience the 5 gallon would probably be better as it is slightly bigger and bigger is always better

Another thing, do you use water conditioner with every water change?

Last edited by Welsh; 08-14-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #5 
emeltee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
Yes it is possible to cycle a 2.5 gallon, I did it successfully and carried our 50% water changes twice weekly I kept RCS in the tank and none of these died, thankfully

Basically what you will need to do is set the tank up and let it run I cycled my tank by feeding the tank a few flakes of food every 12 hours, or you could use a piece of raw fish or shrimp. Usually a tank will take about a month to fully cycle but for a quicker way you could add substrate, decorations and filter media from an already estabilished tank, it took me a week to cycle my 6.5 gallon tank this way. If you have the API freshwater master kit to test your water, when the parameters read

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5-10

Then your tank is cycled and its safe to put in fish but usually a water change is recommended before adding the fish to rid of any high nitrates This is just a basic guideline from my own experience the 5 gallon would probably be better as it is slightly bigger and bigger is always better
What's RCS? And you did a fishless cycle, right? Maybe I should keep Prince in his 2.5 gallon home and buy a 5 gallon and attempt to cycle it. I just want to avoid these 100% water changes since the fish seem to die after them!

So if a tank a cycled, it shouldn't need 100% water changes, right?
Old 08-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #6 
Welsh

RCS are Red cherry shrimp. No definately no 100% water changes when its cycled otherwise you will need to start again lol.

I did do a fishless cycle but I also took sand and decorations along with a filter from my estabilished tank which was practically an instant cycle.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

I agree with welsh. =] I also agree that you should keep him in his 2.5 gallon as as temporary home until you cycle a 5 gallon if you can. =] I'm sure he'd love the extra room! =]

Also if you'd like to look at another way of fishless cycling here's a great page on the ammonia method enhanced by biological bacterial from a bottle! =] Fishless cycling takes MUCH less time this way! =]

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/fishless/fishless.html

That's how I'm going to be cycling when I set my 5 gal up at college and probably how I'll cycle my 2.25 gallon if I decide to use it as a permanent residence for a different fish. =]

If you really want to cycle the 2.5 gallon though you can! =] You'd just have to do a fish-in cycle. There's great info about fish-in cycling in this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

No matter which tank you chose to cycle though, you'll need a filter; even if it's just a sponge filter. If your tank has the bennefit of being rectangular may I recommend the Azoo Palm filter or the Pennplax Small World filter? Both are reccomended and both have biological filtering capabilities which is really necessary IMO.

Hope I helped some! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

I have a minibow 2.5 that has been set up and cycled since around last winter and I've never once had a problem with it. I do two weekly water changes (one 50% and the other 25%). Once I get plants in it I'm going to only do 1 50% change a week.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #9 
vilmarisv

I have 3 cycled 2.5 MiniBow tanks and my parameters are very constant. According to my readings I don't need to make once a week water changes but I do a 50% anyway.
I used a handfull of substrate from my brother-in-law's already established tank so it took me abiout 3 weeks to complete the cycle.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #10 
Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
I have 3 cycled 2.5 MiniBow tanks and my parameters are very constant. According to my readings I don't need to make once a week water changes but I do a 50% anyway.
I used a handfull of substrate from my brother-in-law's already established tank so it took me abiout 3 weeks to complete the cycle.
I want your betta

The amount of sand I took from my tank actually filled the new tank 2 inches, my 12 gallon was like a beach lol