Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #1 
emeltee

Can I save my fish?

I performed a 100% water change last night on my daughter's female betta. (around 10pm) I acclimated her to her new water for about an hour.

I have her in a 2 gal unfiltered tank with a live free floating plant.

This morning, she was swimming happily as she has been this whole week that we've had her - then we fed her.

Sometime after breakfast, she just starting floating at the top of the water, with no fin activity. She'd periodically take air at the surface, jerk a little, then go back to floating. She's been doing this ever since about 9am. I thought she was basically dying, but I'll see some bursts of activity when I tap my fingers near her tank position.

Now she's lying on the gravel behind her pink treasure chest.

Is she pretty much gone?
emeltee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #2 
beat2020

She sounds lethargic from what you wrote.
Did you add conditioner to the new water?
Is the the tank heated?
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #3 
Welsh

If I remember correctly you do condition your water, do you know your parameters, is the tank heated?

If she is insisting on lying on the bottom of the tank then I would lower the water levels so she can atleast come up for oxygen when needed without struggling
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #4 
emeltee

Well, now she's back at the top of the tank. The water is about 76 degrees. I just have a cheap heater from Wmart - waiting for my adjustable one to come in the mail. I actually just bought the heater yesterday and put in the tank after I did the water change. She's been in room temp water for the past week and seemed to be fine - happily swimming back and forth in the tank.

The same thing happened with our first fish. Except last time, I didn't use conditioner, used soap to wash the tank AND didn't really acclimate him to the tank. Obviously I had a lot to learn. And still a lot TO learn.

Unfortunately, I do not know the parameters.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #5 
emeltee

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat2020 View Post
She sounds lethargic from what you wrote.
Did you add conditioner to the new water?
Is the the tank heated?
I wonder if she is lethargic.

She is still alive this morning. And she ate. Actually, we think she is just hiding out behind the aquarium or in front of the thermometer (which are both new to her.) However, I feel like something is still off with her. If I took a picture, would anyone be able to figure out if there is something physically wrong with her?

(She is also in a new brighter location in the house.)
Old 08-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #6 
Phoxly

Yeah a pic would be good to rule out ich or fungus, what do you feed normally? 78-82 degrees is ideal, but 76 isn't THAT bad. I am not that good with small aquariums but I can help you rule out the simple stuff :) just dont get too worked up, there could be something small that is causing it, and considering mst bettas die after the first 12 hours of showing signs of lethargic behavior, you may get lucky!
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

This sometimes ouccurs when a fish is new. Try keeping her water clean, heated, add a little aquarium salt and see how that works.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #8 
Adastra

This sounds like constipation related swim bladder disorder. Overfeeding, feeding dry food, and cold temperatures can cause bloating in the abdominal area--this bloating puts pressure on the swim bladder, which is the organ fish use to control their depth in the water. When pressure is applied to the swim bladder, it malfunctions, causing the fish to be unable to sink, or in some cases, unable to float.

This isn't a very serious illness--it usually goes away once the bloating and constipation are over with. I suggest fasting the fish until the bloating goes down, or you see a bowel movement. When you start feeding again, feed no more than 2 pellets twice a day, or three pellets once a day, and always soak the pellets or any other dry food that you give to your betta in a little tank water before feeding. When a fish eats dry food, it has a similar effect on them as we would have if we ate uncooked rice. It expands in the stomach as it takes on moisture--causing bloating, discomfort, and constipation.

A heater will also help this fish immensely in the digestion department. Unlike humans, fish are cold-blooded, so their entire metabolism is dependent on temperature. When temperatures are low, digestion slows, causing food to get trapped in the gut. Warmer temperatures will help the fish stay regular, comfortable, healthy, and active. I use and recommend only heaters that have an adjustable temperature dial--preset and nonadjustable heaters often get too hot or don't heat the water enough, and most importantly, don't keep the temperature stable or offer you any control. This is my preferred brand: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...8&pcatid=11368

Once the bloating goes down, your fish should go back to normal within the week.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #9 
emeltee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
This sounds like constipation related swim bladder disorder. Overfeeding, feeding dry food, and cold temperatures can cause bloating in the abdominal area--this bloating puts pressure on the swim bladder, which is the organ fish use to control their depth in the water. When pressure is applied to the swim bladder, it malfunctions, causing the fish to be unable to sink, or in some cases, unable to float.

This isn't a very serious illness--it usually goes away once the bloating and constipation are over with. I suggest fasting the fish until the bloating goes down, or you see a bowel movement. When you start feeding again, feed no more than 2 pellets twice a day, or three pellets once a day, and always soak the pellets or any other dry food that you give to your betta in a little tank water before feeding. When a fish eats dry food, it has a similar effect on them as we would have if we ate uncooked rice. It expands in the stomach as it takes on moisture--causing bloating, discomfort, and constipation.

A heater will also help this fish immensely in the digestion department. Unlike humans, fish are cold-blooded, so their entire metabolism is dependent on temperature. When temperatures are low, digestion slows, causing food to get trapped in the gut. Warmer temperatures will help the fish stay regular, comfortable, healthy, and active. I use and recommend only heaters that have an adjustable temperature dial--preset and nonadjustable heaters often get too hot or don't heat the water enough, and most importantly, don't keep the temperature stable or offer you any control. This is my preferred brand: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...8&pcatid=11368

Once the bloating goes down, your fish should go back to normal within the week.
I am happy to report that Princess has been swimming happily ever since last night. I think you were probably right and that it was constipation. I realized that she hadn't pooped in a while. When I changed the water last night, I finally saw two poop piles. :) Happy to have our fish back!