Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2010, 01:52 AM   #1 
finnyfishy

Bloat question

So, I bought Finn frozen brine shrimp.

(The parameters for his tank are in the range they should be, I did a 100% water change 2 days ago, as hes in a 1 gallon tank 'till his 2.5 gallon tank is cycled, and haven't fed him since 2 days ago which I noticed he was bloated when I was changing his water).

I only fed him an "eye size" portion of brine shrimp and that seems to have him bloated. (He's a little lethargic and seems to be "laying around" a lot more often) I also fed him 2 pellets for breakfast that day, but they were soaked in water. I was told that feeding him a microwaved (and skin pealed off) pea broken down into "eye sized" portions could help with the bloating. I've also read that it's a horrible idea so I wanted to get a few opinions. Should I just get Daphnia or try the pea?

Thanks! - Brittany
finnyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:08 AM   #2 
finnyfishy

Not sure why I can't edit my initial post.. but I've noticed some other things in the past few minutes.

I'm not sure what is wrong with him. I took him out of his bowl and put him in a cup to get a good look at him.

He has what seems to be gasping for air (when he takes in air it seems to just come right back out of his gills)... staying at the surface and sucking in as much air as he can. His gills seem to be bulging out and as what seems to be slimy looking strings coming off his body, I noticed hes also missing a scale.

I did the panty hose test on his silk pant and nothing is wrong with it. His home has no sharp edges.

I keep searching through the forums and can't seem to come to a conclusion. I'm bing'ing and googling all I can.. I would LOVE to figure out whats wrong with him so I can fix it but I can't come to a diagnosis.

Please help :(
Old 08-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like something toxic got in the water or maybe you didn't use enough dechlorinator
I would start by making some 100% water changes to rule that out as a cause of the new symptoms
Hold all food for now
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #4 
finnyfishy

Thank you oldfishlady,

I'm sad to say Finn actually died this morning around 10am. I was checking on him every few hours. I'm sure he had velvet, he started rubbing himself on his plant and darting around the tank. I shined a flashlight on him and he looked to be specked with gold dust. I used Aquari-sol only adding a few drops since hes only in a 1 gallon tank while his 2.5 gallon tank was being cycled, I did a 100% water change at 6am before adding the medicine and used a dechlorinater.

I know Aquari-sol is used for mild Ick and parasites but was told that it could be used to treat Velvet.

I will no longer be feeding ANY of my bettas frozen brine shrimp because it seems that all his troubles started with that.

He was a hand me down fish that I got from someone who was using his as decoration at a party at the restaurant I work at and was in highly chlorinated water for 10 hours, not sure if that has anything to do with it but I can't image that that was okay for him.

Thank you for your help.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss and it sounds like the long term affects of chlorinated water may have had something to do with it IMO...a slow death....you did all you could do and at least he was given a chance from the care you gave....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Finn!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote