Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #1 
ForbiddenSecrets

Smile Newbie with Tank Questions

Whelp I finally got my first Betta fish and I'm looking for a good tank to house him in. Right now he is in a temporary [I can't stress that enough] temporary .5 gallon tank just to get the little guy home since he was a... well somewhat impulse buy.

I had been intending to get one for a long time but the day I did was rather random and I just need to pick up my new check to get him a new home. I fell in love with him the moment I saw him in the store and I figured he would have a better shot at life in a temp .5 gal then me leaving him in that tiny waste coated cup :C

So that being said what tanks have worked well for you? I don't have near enough space for a 10 gal or larger but I do want something that will make him a happy little fishie.

Also no I'm not keeping him in the bathroom and the quality of this image is horrible. XD I promise the water doesn't look near as murky as the plastic makes it look

This is Commie who is now far away from his 'friend' Kamau. [I can pretend they would have been friends ha ha]

Last edited by ForbiddenSecrets; 08-14-2010 at 07:35 PM.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #2 
derpmeister

Congratulations on your new fishy friend! He's a handsome boy. Anyway, if you have the money, I highly recommend the Eclipse 3 gallon from Marineland. It's a little expensive for its size but the filter is perfect for bettas because it's very gentle. You mentioned you didn't have a lot of space, so this would work well. They make a 5 gallon version of the tank as well if you're interested in more space for your fish.
http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Ecl.../dp/B0002Z7VRS

Here's a vid of it, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ujU1...eature=related

Just add a heater and voila! A nice betta home. The initial investment for fish keeping is a little pricey because you have to buy your tank and equipment, but once you get started it's very cheap to keep up. Good luck to you and Commie!
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #3 
kuklachica

Welcome to the forum!

Walmart sells a couple of good kits that are 5 gallons each and $30 or under each. They come with the filter and a light. Great deal that you won't find anywhere else. Go to walmart.com and google fish tanks and you should be able to find them.

Also you will need a heater unless your house is at a CONSTANT 80*. Bettas are tropical fish that need constant temps of 76*-82* ish, never above 86*. Walmart sells OK heaters, but they are not adjustable (being adjustable will help A LOT should he ever get sick). I recommend this heater (apparently it comes in a package now, but everything else can be used except the bubble wand). The siphon will come in handy for sure. EDIT: This same seller sells 2 gallon tanks made by Marineland (the best tank-maker) - highly recommend these as well and you might be able to get him to combine shipping!

Do you already have food and water conditioner?
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #4 
ForbiddenSecrets

That seems like a great little tank there derpmeister - I'll look at a few more if people post but that one is on the list of possibilities. I'll also check out wallmart.com to see what they have to offer.

I have food [got two different kinds of Betta food to see what he preferred c:] and of course conditioner. C: While my area inside homes stays around 80-70 degrees sometimes it dips at night so I fully plan on getting a heater.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote