Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #1 
derpmeister

Zoo Med's Betta Log and Betta Hammock?

I have been looking at these two products for my betta.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3956162
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4055997

I don't have any floating plants right now but I plan on getting some soon, and in the meantime I wanted to try one of these out. Has anyone used these in their tanks? Did your fish like them?
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #2 
Alexanderismylife

I have a betta log in Alexander's tank and he loves it! He likes hideing in it and he often lays in it...I've never used to betta hammock though!
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #3 
Drift

All of my betta's have the logs and they love them. :) In fact I need to pick one up for my newest addition, but after 3 years and serious scrubbing the past couple of weeks the paint on my own started chipping off. Thats from my scrub brush mostly though. I don't think gentle washes would harm it.
The hammock I have, and it kept falling out of the suction cup it sits in. So I was going to get some aquarium sealant and glue it in, but I noticed the wire on the bottom painted green was rusting at the tip so I chucked it. :)
Also the floating mirrors are fun. After a little while of use the mirror kind had these cracks going through the plastic. So I snipped it off and used the ball for a while, but ended up loosing it. Gives them something fish safe to flare at. :)
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #4 
noenyu

I also have the log and Taco loves it! He likes to spend most of his time in there, swimming in and out at times, especially when its sleep time. I have seen the leaf/hammock but not sure how that one would work. It looks interesting though. Oh and about the log, you might have to sand the inside with some sand paper. The one I bought was somewhat rough inside but it smooths out pretty easily.
noenyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #5 
derpmeister

Cool! Thanks guys, I will definitely invest in the log then and sand out the inside. My tank has a hood on it, will that be a problem with the floating log? How far above the water does it stick out?
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #6 
Drift

I'll share some pictures with you later tonight, but I have to leave for work tonight. I have hoods on all my tanks with no problem.
No need to sand it out, just don't scrub it with a brush every other day with super hot water. I've also had that one for 3 years, my others I have no problems with. ;)
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #7 
noenyu

Hard to get him out for a picture lol.

The one I bought was very rough on the inside and I didn't want it to tear his fins so I had to sand down the inside.
noenyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #8 
Fermin

Ooooo I just love the photos of Taco in his log! I have to get my bettas some logs...
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #9 
kikuhoshi

I've never used the hammock, but I've seen complaints on here about how the inside of the leaf has metal in it, which corrodes and causes a black gunky thing to ooze out. Not exactly something I want to keep in my tank, you know? I'll see if I can find the thread(s?) I'm thinking about right now, and post them here. :D

I'd love to try the log, but they're so darn expensive. I'm not paying 15 bucks for something I see in the reptile section for $5 (the bamboo tunnels). I'd get a bamboo thing, but I don't want to take a chance and have it gunk in my tank because I'm too much of a numbskull to realize it's rotting.
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #10 
kikuhoshi

Okay, it won't let me edit my post, but here's the topic I remembered. It's on a different site, but had been referenced in a hammock thread on BettaFish.com. :D

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=57831
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote