Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #1 
Wildfire

Unhappy Is there anything wrong with my betta's fins?? (pics)

He's been acting the same - swimming around, eating.. but I'm just worried about his fins. He can still flare them, but I'm just scared he has something and I just don't know it. Hopefully, he's okay, but.. can you guys help, please?
It's a bit hard to see in the picture, but his top fin, the edges kind of curl inward, a little.. I don't know if that's normal, but.

Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #2 
derpmeister

Are they clamped at all or do they always sit like that? They look pretty normal to me...
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #3 
Wildfire

I'm not entirely sure if they're clamped. He can still flare them, I'm just worried about the way the edges of his fins sort of curl in a bit..
Old 08-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #4 
Wildfire

I also have another question - the under gravel filter I have causes bubbles to pile up on the surface area of the water in my tank. There are bubbles EVERYWHERE - not a single open spot on top of the water. Does this hinder my betta's ability to breathe?
Old 08-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #5 
Owlets

Looks normal to me! Could just be the way his fins grew out. My guys have had some strange looking fins when they've bitten them off and they've grown back. All sorts of twirls and such, haha.

And under gravel filters in general are usually bad, just because food/fish waste can get stuck underneath them and build up. It miighhtt hinder it, I remember a thread I saw on this exact problem but I can't remember what the replies were. Sorry I cant be much more help!
Owlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #6 
Adastra

Fins can curl due to hard water or poor watre quality, your fish looks totally healthy, though. Just make sure your water changing routine is working by testing your water or having it tested at a pet store regularly.

As for the filter, if it's a small uncycled tank, the filter isn't doing you any good. I would remove it, as the current is likely stressing out the fish. It would be better just to do frequent cleanings and 100% water changes.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #7 
Wildfire

Darn, really? I've heard both good and bad things about UG filters.. I'm just unsure if I have time to change 100% of the water so many times a week, and I feel like constantly moving my betta in and out of his tank will actually stress him out more.

I have a 2 gallon tank. The UG filter came with the package.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #8 
Sarada

You could probably get away with two 100% changes a week.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote