Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #1 
sniper8752

water changes

i was reading the intro for my new beta fish on how to take care of it. they said you remove half of the water, and remove it with "aged" water.... what is this? they also say de-chlorinated... are those the same things? and then every 4-6 weeks, do a complete water change... don't you want the good bacteria? when doing the full water changes, they say that you need to remove the fish... what would i put him in?

and i have heard of people having big tanks, like 2 gallons... mine is a one gallon glass with a round body, then the top closing off, kind of like this. does he need a bigger tank? and is there anything else i need for the fish? i just have bowl and water right now, and it feels like there should be more.

what temp. should the water be... it says here 70-73. is this right? if it gets cooler/warmer than this, are they so sensitive that they need a heater/cooler, or will they adjust? i have goldfish also, so im not sure how much they have in common.... any other suggestions?
sniper8752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #2 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper8752 View Post
i was reading the intro for my new beta fish on how to take care of it. they said you remove half of the water, and remove it with "aged" water.... what is this? they also say de-chlorinated... are those the same things? and then every 4-6 weeks, do a complete water change... don't you want the good bacteria? when doing the full water changes, they say that you need to remove the fish... what would i put him in?

and i have heard of people having big tanks, like 2 gallons... mine is a one gallon glass with a round body, then the top closing off, kind of like this. does he need a bigger tank? and is there anything else i need for the fish? i just have bowl and water right now, and it feels like there should be more.

what temp. should the water be... it says here 70-73. is this right? if it gets cooler/warmer than this, are they so sensitive that they need a heater/cooler, or will they adjust? i have goldfish also, so im not sure how much they have in common.... any other suggestions?

I wouldnt keep a Goldfish and a Betta together, Goldfish need huge amounts of room. Plus Goldfish are COLD water Betta's are Tropical.

Dechlorinated water is Water that you add a fish safe chemical to remove all the chlorine, and hard metals in the water, so it dosent poison your fish.

I am personally setting up an 8Gallon Tank for a Betta,(just planting and stuff)
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #3 
sniper8752

so should i clean out the tank like they have mentioned? i just somehow take out half of the water, and replace it with the de-cholornized water?

and an 8 gallon tank? that seems kinda big. i thought they like small tanks since they have to go to the top a lot for oxygen?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #4 
Yuuki

Aged and dechlorinated are basically the same thing. Dechlorinated is preferred since many cities put chloramines in their water supply now; aging water doesn't remove this chemical, it must be removed with a dechlorinator.

Ideally, yes... you should have a larger tank. No fish "likes" a small tank, people just keep them in small tanks because they are hardy fish that can survive in small tanks. However.... being able to survive in a small tank doesn't mean they like them. Basically, they survive in small tanks, but they thrive in larger ones.

My opinion is that they shouldn't be in anything under 2.5 gallons, but I prefer 5+ gallons. The tank should be heated to a steady temp of around 78-80 degrees. I suppose a filter isn't totally necessary, but I'd recommend one anyway. Better for the fish, and easier on the aquarium owner.

Anyway.... in a 1 gallon bowl, you really can't get away with only partial water changes. In a tank this size, you need to do 100% changes a few times per week. You just put the fish in a clean container with a lid while you change the water. Make sure there are air holes in the lid though! (The cup you bought him in is wonderful for this if you still have it.)

I've got 1 Betta in a 5-gallon and another in a 10-gallon. Happy little fishes they are. :)
Yuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #5 
sniper8752

hm, ok because it is hard to do water changes with such a small one. i can't really fit anything in it besides a plant. lol how much would you say your 5 gallon tank was? i would like an idea of how much i will need to spend. and so you recommend that with beta fish, they are more sensitive than goldfish, and need to have a stricter temperature?
Old 08-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #6 
sniper8752

-and if i get a filter, i found marineland. i have an aquaclear for my goldfish. which one should i buy? i like my aquaclear and it seems to be working well. is marineland more expensive?
-i found a tank here. i don't want to spend too much... i'm thinking either a 3 or 5g one at most. any recommendations?

(i will be going to college soon, so want to save room ;)
Old 08-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #7 
Yuuki

They're probably about the same as goldfish when it comes to temperature sensitivity. But goldfish are coldwater fish, so the temperature we keep our homes at are fine for them. Our homes are a bit too cold for Betta though, so they do better with heaters. :)

The 3 gallon Marineland tank would be fine since you're trying to save room. It comes with the filter too, so you wouldn't have to buy it separately. My 5 gallon tank all together was something like $90. (That's a 5 gallon Marineland tank, heater, decorations and gravel.)

As for the Marineland filters... I think the replacements are a tad more expensive than Aquaclear, but not by much. I replaced the filter in my Marineland tank though, because it was too strong for my Half-Moon Betta.

Anyway if you're thinking of ordering online, check out ordering from Foster and Smith here: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...lies/pr/c/3578

They've got flat rate shipping and their prices are much lower than pet stores.
Yuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #8 
Lion Mom

Here is a 5 gal. tank you may be interested in from Wal-Mart. It comes with everything except the heater & it has FREE shipping to your home:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653

I own this tank and am very happy with it.

Or there is this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-Be...ndingMethod=rr

Personally, I would not use the divider & give one betta the entire 2 1/2 gallons. Also looks like they charge shipping on this.

Hope that helps & good luck!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #9 
Lion Mom

Found another one for ya:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-Aq...-Pump/14660254

This one has an under gravel filter & FREE shipping to your home!! :)

And from fish.com (I also own this one):

http://www.fish.com/item/aquatic-edg...-5-gal/701002/

Again, comes with everything except the heater.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #10 
sniper8752

1) i actually just remembered i have a 10 gallon tank from my old goldfish... could i use that? i guess i still need a heater and filter though....

2) what is the purpose of an under-gravel filter? does it make cleaning the tank an easier task? i was thinking about it for my goldfish, but not sure how it differs from the standard filter, besides it would collect much of the crap.