Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #1 
neekis

Aquatic Decor

Hey - it's been awhile! I'm in the process of upgrading from a 1.5 gal to a 14 gal for my male betta Neekis. I picked up a lil' house from Petco and was wondering if I could file down some of the sharp edges. I remember reading about decor sometimes ripping tails or injuring the fish. Has anyone ever done this before? I attached the link of what I got. Thanks!

http://www.petco.com/product/110482/...Supplies_Decor
neekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #2 
Tomsk

The advert says its made from non-toxic colours & materials so it seems safe.To test the house for sharp edges run a pair of pantyhose over its surface,if they dont catch then its safe for a Betta's fins.
Going from a 1.5G to a 14G will be a big step for your Betta,you may want to have some tall decorations or plants (real or silk) to give him some enclosed areas to feel safe in.Though at 14G you always have an option to put a divider in and some point in the future and get a second Betta and give them 7G each side.

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #3 
neekis

I was thinking the same thing about the transition for him. I'm definately trying to figure out how I can have a "snug" area for him in there. The divider may be a good idea....Thanks for the info!
Old 08-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #4 
Tomsk

As a quick temporary thing to help aclimatise him to a bigger tank get a couple of tall silk plants and put them across the tank roughly in the middle.This will create two smaller areas to explore rather than one big daunting one for him.

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #5 
neekis

I was thinking the same thing. I'm going back to Petco today so I will pick some up. It's a good idea to try and divide the tank a bit.

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to reduce the flow from the filter. I tried the water bottle baffle, but it didn't work too good. I think I will get a natural sponge and put in front of it some how. I have an Aqueon Power filter that the tank came with. (I really wanted the Whisper, but thought I would give this a try since it came with the tank.)

Thanks again!