Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #1 
PeiMai

Should I be worried?

Yesterday he wouldnt eat in the AM I did my first water change and he seemed sort of lethargic the rest of the day. He didn't eat last night either. This morning, same wouldn't eat and just hung out coming up to the surface to take a gulp of air then back down to the same spot. Tonight Still won't eat. He looked at it and just said 'Naaaah, turned away and swam around a bit. This is after several days of regular feedings....could he just be not hungry or should I be worried. Tonight before I tried to feed him he was sitting midway up in the tank with his fins all out.
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #2 
Kokonoko

Hmm. I don't have alot of expertise on this, but I may be able to offer a few ideas of what it might be? It sounds like constipation I believe. I don't know why this would occur now though, after having him for a week or two, right? I would do this without further ideas, but I believe that a de-shelled pea (like the kind of peas we eat, with only the inside mushy part being used) will help clear its system.

To assist in others helping you though, you might want to list the sats of your tank currently. Size, if theres a filter, heater, temp of current water, any chemicals added recently, type of food, etc. Theres to many (including myself) people to remember there tank stats =( lol
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #3 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokonoko View Post
Hmm. I don't have alot of expertise on this, but I may be able to offer a few ideas of what it might be? It sounds like constipation I believe. I don't know why this would occur now though, after having him for a week or two, right? I would do this without further ideas, but I believe that a de-shelled pea (like the kind of peas we eat, with only the inside mushy part being used) will help clear its system.

To assist in others helping you though, you might want to list the sats of your tank currently. Size, if theres a filter, heater, temp of current water, any chemicals added recently, type of food, etc. Theres to many (including myself) people to remember there tank stats =( lol
2.5 gallon tank
used prime with water change (50%)
also used Seachem ph nuetralizer which has a de chlorinator in it as well
UFG turned down very low so not to create a current with a carbon filter attachment.
He does not seem to be engorged as I would think constipation would show. I could be wrong. He seemed famished when I got him and I only fed him two to three pellets of Top Fin color enhancing betta bits. Should I switch foods I was thinking about trying some frozen brine shrimp that I have tomorrow morning.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #4 
Kokonoko

I don't believe theres any visible signs when it comes to constipation. I hope you get a good response here soon! Sorry I couldn't help more! =(
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #5 
PeiMai

yeah im hoping Oldfish lady comes on Im going to go cook a pea and peel it. He does have his fins out all nice though
Old 08-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #6 
Maryrox247

You used a ph neutrilizer??? I think using prime (thats a water dechlorinator right?) is fine by itself. He may be having a reaction to the ph neutralizer. Maybe try a 25% water change and by the way i use the same exact pellets as you and they are just fine. If you want though you can try freeze dried or frozen bloodworms or like you said frozen brine shrimp to tempt him to eat. I may be wrong about my reaction to the ph thing but if your waters ph was fine before you used it then it may very well be that. Did you test your water's ph before using it? Next time only use that if you KNOW your waters ph is too high or low (more extreme than just 7.1 or 2 and 6.9 or 8)
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #7 
PeiMai

I tried the pea...no dice and I dont have a toothpick so i held it in chopsticks I dont think that works very well
Old 08-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #8 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrox247 View Post
You used a ph neutrilizer??? I think using prime (thats a water dechlorinator right?) is fine by itself. He may be having a reaction to the ph neutralizer. Maybe try a 25% water change and by the way i use the same exact pellets as you and they are just fine. If you want though you can try freeze dried or frozen bloodworms or like you said frozen brine shrimp to tempt him to eat. I may be wrong about my reaction to the ph thing but if your waters ph was fine before you used it then it may very well be that. Did you test your water's ph before using it? Next time only use that if you KNOW your waters ph is too high or low (more extreme than just 7.1 or 2 and 6.9 or 8)
I did test the water before hand. It was a bit low and the water that I have had in the tank had the nuetralizer in it already before I did the water change. Like I said I wonder if he just isnt hungry I food a small tooth pic and put a piece of cooked pealed pea on it and pinched in the lid so its right at the surface hope fully he takes that as the shrimp was a bust. Try again tomorrow. Water temp is 78F by the way.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

IMO, you should leave the ph alone. Fish will adapt to the ph, but when you start using chemicals to change it, it forces the fish's body to constantly adjust.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #10 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
IMO, you should leave the ph alone. Fish will adapt to the ph, but when you start using chemicals to change it, it forces the fish's body to constantly adjust.
this was something I had done from the word go with him and this is the longest I've had one yet. I don't really get it he seems to be doing fine just doesn't want to eat for two days I dont get it.

He is doing the mouth open and close thing with the gills going? 25% water change maybe?