Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #21 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokonoko View Post
If its 6.6 - 7.0, I wouldn't worry. If its anything lower then that, then you might want to consult a doctor about your own health o.o You may be giving your betta to little credit, they are tough creatures and adjust only in the manner that the PH levels become thier 'normal' and anything outside of that then becomes uncomfortable. I think, and I'll do some more research on this to confirm strongly, that the addition multiple chemicals will be more stressful then anything else imaginable.

I'll look around for other possible theories on whats going on until we can find a solution. Although, one question is, the food... when you feed him and he rejects eating, do you remove the food swiftly, or does it sometimes fall to the bottom of the tank? If it does fall tot he bottom, are you -positive- hes not eating it fromt he gravel while you're not looking? There is no right or wrong response o.o Just need to know! =)

So, so far heres the current situation that we know:
-Hasn't eaten anything in 3 days
-Has no physical signs of illness that we know of (Picture would help confirm)
-Water levels are current 'in check', with the help of addition chemicals (Which may be stressing the fish)

PS: I was just called by my bro to go play pool, I want you to know that I -will- be looking this up and helping you as much as possible though! I'll only be gone a few hours.
Cool thanks alot good luck with your pool game. I've had the lights out on his tank most of the day thought that might be less stressful for him. As for the food..I've waited up several hours to remove it...it doesn't sink so he isn't eating it. Three pieces in three pieces out. IDK man The water I added I used prime water conditioner ONLY. No Ph adjuster. SitRep is exactly the same:SNAFU..unfortunately even the blood worms didnt take. Same spot all day except to go up and take a breath then right back down to his spot.
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #22 
Lion Mom

Just wondering - did you use the ph adjuster on your earlier bettas that you lost?
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #23 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Just wondering - did you use the ph adjuster on your earlier bettas that you lost?
Good question but No i did not use it. This is the first one that I used the ph adjuster on.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #24 
Kokonoko

I'm back, sorry it took so long, had alot of laughs that slowed down the games lol

The position in which he sits in most of the time, is there anything unique about that area? I don't know if this would make any diffirence on allowing us to understand this better or not, but I thought I might as well get it out the way. Still opting that if you took a few good solid pictures of him, it -might- show something to the veterans that we don't see. *Shrugs*
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #25 
Kokonoko

Ok, so without a picture to go on, I'm going to assume that you don't see any physical ailments with your betta fish. Again, as annoying as it sounds for me to repeat this over and over again, a picture may add alot more information! =)

With the following symptoms, I matched the following possibilities. Take into consideration that there are other illnesses that also have these few symptons as they are farely common warning signs, but I have eliminated some of these for now under the assumption that the betta fish physical LOOKS fine; little to no activity, no appetite.

Possible Illnesses:

=Fungal Infection=
Matched: Little to no activity & no appetite.
Look for Cottony white patches on the body and head of the betta fish. May look like splotches. If these are visible, then this may be whats effecting your fish.

=Bacterial Infection=
Matched: Little to no activity & no appetite
Look for clamped fins, lose of color and turning grey. This disease may eventually develope red patches on skin areas. This is not incredibly likely though since thise developes generally if little or no care is provided tot he betta fish (Water changes, ect.)

=Depression=
Matched: Little to no activity & no appetite
Look for lack of flaring and not building bubblenests. This often occurs for breedings when first jarring bettas away from thier established 'family'. Although may also occur when adjusting to a new tank environment. Other then feeling 'down', there is no real illness or disease to speak of, just the symptoms prevail.

Illnesses Currently Ruled out (May be ruled back in)
-Velvet (Need further information: Picture)
-Ick (Need further information: Picture)
-Septicimia (Unlikely)
-Bacterial Infection (Unlikely due to proper care)
-Internal & External Parasites (Both unlikely)
-Dropsy (Fairly rare)

I've left out the cures for these diseases for now so that the wrong assesment isn't given by an amature like myself. Medicating incorrect could possible worsen the condition, or stress the fish further. Although, the only likely ones that I could think of is Depression or Fungal Infection.

Last edited by Kokonoko; 08-16-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:55 AM   #26 
PeiMai

Ok well thanks for getting back on this. Good to hear you had a good time I love playing pool but rarely get to. Last night before i went to bed at 1am I noticed that his light was still on from when I was trying desperately to get a picture of him to show you that he was swimming a bit more than he has been. He was hovering about mid tank and hiding behind a leaf. :) A good sign I'm guessing. I also stayed up while lying in bed and watched him surface twice within only a couple minutes of each other. Another good sign?! This morning, I offered him 1 pellet and a single blood worm to see if either would work. He bit at the pellet twice and I haven't looked back to see if either one has been eaten.
Reading your post I did notice that his coloration has like these slightly and I mean slightly greyish patches to it. Now the ONLY thing that I've changed was adding aquarium salt to his water slowly over the course of the day. I spoke with the girl at the shop where I got him and she said 'oh yeah the only thing we use in their water is aquarium salt and prime.' ....Exactly what I have in his water now. So Maybe this is what was wrong...but I'm still concerned about the greyish areas. It could be some kind of illness or it could just be poor coloring...idk. But I'm going to look around and see if I can find any pictures of these disorders....and Yes I will try again to get a decent picture of him. For now I'm going to check and see if he ate either one and probably do another 25% water change.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #27 
Kokonoko

Well its good to hear that he seems to be recovering so far! If he starts eating then this will definently be a good sign =) On the pellets (and the blood worm if its been freeze dried), you're pre-soaking these in a little cup of the tank water, right? I think you already know this but I thought I'd double check just in case =D
Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #28 
PeiMai

Hes been only nibbling at the food but its a start Im trying to be patient(sp?)
Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #29 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeiMai View Post
Hes been only nibbling at the food but its a start Im trying to be patient(sp?)
Well it's a start!!! :)

Gosh, I just can NOT figure out why you are having so much trouble! I mean, it's obvious that you are doing EVERYTHING in your power to give a betta a good home!!!

Hopefully, your guy will continue to improve & live a long & happy life with you!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #30 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Well it's a start!!! :)

Gosh, I just can NOT figure out why you are having so much trouble! I mean, it's obvious that you are doing EVERYTHING in your power to give a betta a good home!!!

Hopefully, your guy will continue to improve & live a long & happy life with you!!!
I hope so too. The planted tank is still settling in a bit
I can't wait for him to be healthy again