Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #11 
The Game

$500?!?!??!?!!?!?!? that much?! why would it cost that much?! i thought that it would be a maximum of $100. i thought all you need is a tank, sponge filter or an alternative, fry food, some jars, heater and the two fish themselves? did i miss out something?
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:17 AM   #12 
The Game

Oh yea and what would happen if I bred a copper PK with a giant PKFM? Im not sure what colour the female will be but i think that they were a pretty dull colour and looked like an average size. Also just forget about the sponge filter i mentioned in the previous post as I just realised that theyre not necessary.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #13 
1fish2fish

Here is an average of my start up costs

1 pair (non sib) $30 (no shipping because I got them at an auction)
2nd pair (non sib) $17 (female was free, no shipping charges)

2 10 gallon tanks- $15 (I got them off craigslist and glued a crack in one of them)
aquarium glue- $5

Java moss- $41 (including shipping.. bought from 3 different people)
Hornwort- $5

Microworms, Banana worms, walter worms- $8
Vinegar eels- $5
vinegar- $3
oatmeal- $4
tupperware containers- $3
Brine shrimp eggs- $8
air pump- $10

12 jars- $13

Heaters- $40 (plus an additional $25 when one was defective)

Grow out tank- $35 (found on craigslist)

Medicine for male with Ich as a result of breeding- $5 (that male died BTW)

Grindal worms- $8
culture medium- $5
tupperware container- $3

That brings my total to $288 (and that is on the low end). Not to mention time spent feeding, changing water, culturing foods,... etc. It is a LOT of work. These fish are not guppies, you can't just throw them in a tank and have them breed. It takes a lot of time and commitment. And even then you may only end up with 9 babies.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Start up cost is the biggest expense, however, once you have everything and growing your own cultures it is mainly just time..... and time is money...lol.....

It cost me nothing to breed........except time......

It can cost you lots if you want it too or very little if you want, if you practice preventive measure and good husbandry then over-head should be low in my experience......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #15 
The Game

Hey, would it be possible to breed a giant PKFM with a regular sized male because of the size difference or what about a giant PK with a regular sized female?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #16 
Kokonoko

The only thing I would add to what has been said about breeding, is that you need to know what you're going to do with all the fish. Do you have the time to go out and find homes for each fish? Are you going to give them to a petshop? If its the petshop, do you know theres a possibility they wont accept them unless you're giving them for free? Or do you have what it takes to be able to cull? In any of these situations, morality aside, are going to be done by you.

For instance, if I were to breed, I'd want to talk to my local Petstores first... see if they're interested in recieving some free beta fish (possibly even at their choice, excluding what I want to keep) or even talk tot he store manager at the local wal-mart (Which would be a hard-pressed situation in most cases). I might even see if any of my friends want a beta fish, and will take proper care of it. After all that, I'd print out some local adds to hang up in spots, listing them as free betas (because I would just want them off my hands so I can create the next batch of cute little critters). Sadly, I will have to cull a percentage of them, its a reality that I, out of my own decision, will have to make. God knows Elye (my wife) will -hate- even thinking of the any of them being culled.

Just keep it all in mind and have a plan.
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #17 
The Game

Ok well ive already talked to some friends and theyve agreed to take some and i was going to talk to some pet stores and see if they would take any. Ive been hearing the word cull quite often but im still not sure what exactly it means, i know its not something very positive though. Also back to my original question, would it be alright to breed a regular sized beta to a giant PK and if so, would it help if one gender was the giant?
Old 08-21-2010, 11:32 PM   #18 
Alex09

Cull= Kill
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #19 
The Game

oh... wait how exactly? and could someone please answer my question bout breeding with giants? lol
Old 08-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #20 
1fish2fish

IMHO if you have to get rid of your fry by giving them to pet stores (especially walmart) breeding might not be such a good idea. Its one thing if the pet store takes care of their fish but lets face it 99% of those stores don't. Why add to an already serious problem of bad care and death? I will never see my babies go to a petstore. I'd rather not breed than make them suffer that fate.

As for your question TG. You can breed a giant with a regular sized fish. You'll get mainly half- giants depending on the backgrounds of each parent. I'd advise breeding a giant male with a regular female but it's not entirely impossible to breed a regular male with a giant female.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote