Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #21 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Sorry but, IMO, you can't breed giant female to regular male. The female should be too big for him. But you can breed giant male to regular female. ..... If I remembered correctly, F1 will be dominantly regular. F2 will be better. F3 should give you 20-30% giants. ...... You won't get 100% giants. That's why it's said that giants are hard to breed. Remember, this can be achieved only through selective breeding (the largest offspring)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:40 AM   #22 
The Game

ok well what about breeding coppers? if i got a male copper PK, what colour of female should i breed him to and what finnage if i cant get a PK FM. if i bred him to a CT FM, would i get a few CTPK in the spawn?
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #23 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Before I answer your question, I need to know what you're trying to achieve. What type of color do you want to get (metalic/non metalic)? What tail type would you prefer? Do you plan to create your own line (color/tail type)? etc. etc. etc.

For now I can only recommend that you don't crossbreed to CT.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #24 
The Game

well i would just like to end up with a copper of some sort, possible metallic. im not trying to create my own line just yet. i cant find any stores that stock any PK FM, so ill probably have to cross breed with something. im find with any tail type, i just thought that CTPK would have been nice to have but im perfectly fine with any other types
Old 08-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #25 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Ok then, I'd suggest you use green HM (if you can't get another copper). But if they're not available, I guess you have to use green VT. If you use VT, most of your offspring would be VT. You will get some short fins but then again which percentage will actually survive? Just thought that you should know what you'll be getting and be prepared.

It would take at least 3 generations to obtain CTPK. It is possible but I would not advise it for now..... can you select the right F1, F2 and F3 to eventually get CTPK..... selecting is very difficult to explain in words. But it's up to you. Remember that you must have a plan on how you're going to house your offspring.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:14 AM   #26 
The Game

oh ok thanks, but what could i use instead of a green if i cant get one?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #27 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I guess you can use irid (top layer) color like blue or black. Blue should (theoretically) give you the same as green (I have never tried) because they're both irid colors. Black should give you a darker copper such as the black copper.

I'm not sure about red though. IME reds are difficult to "blend". You always end up with red fins. And you will have difficulty to return to a solid color. You will often come up with some red fins without introducing red. That's why I prefer to stay away from anything containing red..... unless, of course, the red already blends/reduced like coppers or other metalics.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:49 AM   #28 
The Game

well, atm, i have a CT FM that has red fins and some blue on her body, im guessing it wouldnt be a good idea to use her?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #29 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Don't get me wrong, color is personal preference. In my case, I try to produce solid colors so who ever I give it to can plan/have an idea of what they'll get if they crossbreed. So I'm not telling you not to breed anything containing red, specially when you don't plan to create a line of your own. Besides, sometimes you must start with whatever "building block" is available to you.

If you use a blue with red fins, you will possibly get blue, metalic blue, green, and copper with (definitely) red fins. You may also get a few solid colors. It all depends on which exact gene is dominant in the parents.
So you can still get solid colors, though a small percentage.

If they're what you have, so be it. Start with them..... if you don't mind red fins. But if you can get solid color breeders, it would be far easier.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #30 
BlueHaven

I defintely agree that you should not breed fish if you can't handle them and that you shouldn't breed different betta fish that would turn out looking "funny" because people might not want them and they wouldn't find homes.
BUT if someone wants to breed bettas to have more bettas for themself, then I do not think it matters what betta fish you want to breed, unless you want a specific looking one. Then you should not do it.
I think every betta deserves a home, and even if it doesn't turn out the way you want, NEVER kill the poor creature. Keep him/her yourself or keep looking till you find a good home for him.
Killing them is just plain cruel because your taking a life away that is completely dependant on you and it's possible this life is the only one it has (maybe, I don't know for sure, but why take the chance?).
That's why I do agree with not breeding them if you don't want them to turn out "wrong", but if it happens by accident, I 100 percent dissagree in killing them. There are people who would love to take in those who are unwanted.

Last edited by BlueHaven; 08-25-2010 at 12:23 PM.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote