Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #1 
thegameksk

ugh algae!

Hey guys. I had a breakout of brown and green algae in my tank so I did a full water change. It hasnt even been a week and already the green algae is back. I have a heated, filtered tank with 2 amazon sword plants. I have my lioght set to a timer to be on 8 hrs a day. I also use flourish excell and I still get algae. Can anyone help??
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #2 
Welsh

How big is the tank?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

How big is the tank, how old are the light bulbs? any direct sunlight?
If your light bulbs are older than 6 month old you may need to change them and increase the photo period to 10-12 hours-the better the growth of the plants to out compete the algae, you may need to tweak this as time passes- you may need to add root tabs for the sword plants, also adding floating plants or stem plants can help use the nutrient in the water column to out compete the algae.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #4 
thegameksk

Its a 10 gallon tank. The light bulbs are 3 weeks old. I have 2 root tabs in the tank. One near each plant.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

What are the "w" and "k" rating on the bulbs, also try not to disturb the root tab and get them in the water column this can cause an algae bloom too.
It may just be a photo period issue to balance things out, I would increase it to 10h to start.
I stay on a 12h a day photo period on my planted tanks so I get active growth to out compete algae
Old 07-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #6 
FloridaBettas239

When I had this problem, The tetra care program said to cut the light's back on the tank to 5 hours a day. Make sure no sun light is shining on the tank. When you cut the light back do a 50% water change and then cut the light to 5 hours, for a week or two. Clean the tank with one of them blue scrub pads. You want to clean everything, do a 50% change and cut the light back to 5...

When i asked the guy at pet smart about it he said, yes that they have to do it some times to keep things under control
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

In a non-planted tank-yes-reduces lights, however, in planted tanks you have to balance things, lights help the plant grow and active plant growth can out compete the algae and adding stem and floating plants can also help for a long term fix- short term fix, manual removal and water change.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #8 
FloridaBettas239

I dont no what kind of plant's you have? My 55 is filled with java fern, Anubias, and a little dwarf hair grass.. Anyway I had 2 new fish the next day they had ick. So the medication I bought said the lights had to be off no more than 5 hours a day. It was that quick cure,, never use that again... Anyway after only having my lights on for 4.5 hours a day and having to crank the heat up. but having the lights cut back like that for a week, didnt hurt nothing I turned them back to 12 on 12 off and there was a couple leaves that looked a little yellow on them but nothing was wrong nothing died.
You can go on google and read stories of people throwing some java fern in a bag and then throwing it in there closet because something happen with there tank. like 3 or 6 months later they went and got the brown dried up java fern cut everything off. besides the root balb, they put it in a 5 gallon bucket with water and a light and the thing grew back. Them plants are tougher then you thing. Unless its a hard to take care of, always need co2 and stuff..
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #9 
sharpshot7567

there is now a fish friendly "algeacide" =] i used it 24 hours and tank was clear
sharpshot7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #10 
thegameksk

Its everywhere and not getting any better. I have no clue what to do