Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #11 
1fish2fish

The problem with small tanks is you can't heat them properly unless your house is naturally warm. I think we can all agree that heat and clean water are the main necessities of betta keeping.

I would like to see a study done on the longevity of bettas kept in 1/2, 1, 2, 5, and 10 gallon tanks (all properly heated and water quality maintained) and see which ones live longest. My bet is still on the fish that is given the most room to exercise and interact with its surroundings.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #12 
puppyrjjkm

Alright, thanks for your help everyone. I may just end up using my 5 hex even though it still takes up more room than I'd like. Then my 20 L with only be split into 5 so everyone gets more room! :)
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #13 
CjRager89

if youre worried about heating you could get one of these. Im using one now and my tank is at a nice 80

http://www.petco.com/product/102429/...:referralID=NA
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #14 
1fish2fish

Those are dependent on what your room temperature is. Here where my roommate keeps the apartment at 65* (gotta love free air conditioning) that heater barely keeps a 1 gallon tank at 72*F. If your room gets too warm that heater has a definite possibility of over heating your tank.

Not to mention if your fish gets sick and you need your water to be at 86* for treatment (or lower for some other diseases) there is no way to do that without an adjustable heater.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #15 
CjRager89

but do they make adjustabe heaters for tanks under 5 gal??
Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #16 
1fish2fish

Sure.. as long as you can fit a 25w heater in the tank it will work. With tanks under 2.5 gallons it starts to get sketchy though. You just have to watch your temperature very carefully.

Marineland offers a 10watt heater but I don't know how well it works.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #17 
SilverCaracal

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogipoi View Post
Bettas at least need a 2.5 gallon to thrive. A mini bow is good, but change the lights, most people buy them and the plastic melts.
What?? The plastic melts? I just got a Minibow...I thought it was acrylic...

A 2.5 gallon minibow is good if you need a tank bigger than 2 gallons.
It works great and is only $23 at Petsmart, although when I went to the Petsmart closest to my house, it was like $30.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #18 
1fish2fish

I have minibow and the plastic never has melted. Its a good little tank but the hood has a tendency to vibrate which is really annoying.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #19 
CjRager89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCaracal View Post
What?? The plastic melts? I just got a Minibow...I thought it was acrylic...

A 2.5 gallon minibow is good if you need a tank bigger than 2 gallons.
It works great and is only $23 at Petsmart, although when I went to the Petsmart closest to my house, it was like $30.
my petsmart had a 10gal with filter and hood for about $20 ;) and of course that is what my betta is in now
Old 08-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #20 
SilverCaracal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjRager89 View Post
my petsmart had a 10gal with filter and hood for about $20 ;) and of course that is what my betta is in now
Same. I have an unused 10 gallon in my garage. It used to be for my turtle, but since I let him go (in a pond with the same species) it's empty. I would use it, but it won't fit in my room so...that's why I have a minibow!

1fish2fish - the minibow I have doesn't vibrate at all...

Edit -

1fish2fish - does the minibow filter start cycling for you because a few days after I set mine up, the water started getting really cloudy and the handbook says that means the water is good and the tank might be cloudy for a month, since it's cycling. At first I thought the cloudiness was bad, so I did a 100% water change. I think I made a big mistake...was the tank actually cycling (it has live plants) and will it restart cycling again even if I did a full water change??

Last edited by SilverCaracal; 08-17-2010 at 01:46 PM.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote