Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #1 
GhostsMom

New fish Mom...I am confused.

We got our betta from my daughter's friend who was moving across the country and couldn't take him. I have never had a fish before. He came in a tiny bowl. He started spitting out his food so I did some research and realized he was too cold. I went out and bought a new 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and bought a hydor heater. His tank is about 79 degrees and he seems happy. The people we got him from said they did a complete water change every 3 weeks. So I have been doing a complete water change every 2 weeks. I have read on the forum that you shouldn't do a complete water change you should only do a 30% change. How do you clean the gravel? How do you remove the poop? We are very careful that he eats all the food that we put in. So all we have to worry about is the urine and the poop. We also have no idea how old he is, is there a way to tell? How do you know if the current in the tank is too strong? Thanks for your help. Remember I am clueless...
GhostsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #2 
ChristinaRoss

u need to be changing a gallon of water 2 times a week........ammonia will build up in the tank and he will burn

to clean the gravel u can get abgravel syphon/vacuum for that to also remove the poop

theres not really a surefire way of aging them once their adult size. but ive had one live until he was almost 6 years old.

does the current from the filter "swish" him away when he swims by it? then its too strong and you can make a baffle for it to soften the flow

welcome to the forum
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #3 
GhostsMom

Thanks for your reply. What is a baffle?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #4 
kelly528

It blocks the filter current so that your betta isn't blown around like a leaf. Their huge fins catch currents like a sail. The easiest method is to make one out of a water bottle. You should be able to get instructions off google or even a step-by-step video on youtube. I believe there are also a few topics on it here.

On the cleaning note, it highly depends on your tank size... the solution to pollution is dilution! So the less fish per the volume of water, the more dilute and harmless your waste will be.

Cleaning the tank out completely is a good route to go if your tank is 'uncycled', eg deviod of a nitrifying bacterial colony.

In cycled tanks, the nitrogen cycle is put into effect. Essentially, you cultivate 2 kinds of bacteria which feed off of fish waste. The first kind eats toxin produced by fish waste called ammonia, and what comes out on the other end is a less harmful compound called nitrites. The other guys, whose favorite snack happens to be nitrites, snarf the stuff and produce a far less harmful compound called nitrates. These can be used by plants, if you plan to go that route, or simply vaccumed out at each water change. You will for obvious reasons want to limit your water changes to 20 or 30% because
a) You don't have to do full changes
b) You dont want to make too big of a dent in the bacterial colony.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by kelly528; 10-22-2009 at 12:26 PM.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #5 
GhostsMom

Thanks
Old 10-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

The smaller the tank, the harder it is to hold a cycle.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #7 
AlexXx

It is a device that helps disperse the waters current coming from the filter.
It can be easily and almost free to make. Just get any type of plastic bottle, Pepsi, Water, anything cylinder, just cut it in half and cram it under the over hang of the filter! and wa-la! you got yourself a makeshift baffle! mines been working well for months now!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #8 
ChristinaRoss

thats a great baffle alexxx
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #9 
Jupiter

I'm surprised he survived in a small bowl with WCs only every 3 weeks...

I agree with what ChristinaRoss said
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #10 
colleen1414

what if you can't afford a vaccuum? how do you clean the poop out? And also do you take the fish out when you clean the tank?
colleen1414 is offline   Reply With Quote