Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #1 
Phoxly

Betta Diving for Food?

I have these fairly large shrimp pellets I drop into the tank for my cories, and every time I do my betta literally dives and chases them as they float to the bottom, then he hits them 2-3 times, flares at anything nearby, and swims back to the top for the next one. LOL I am going to try to get this on video tonight and share it, anyone else have a fish who has unusual habits like this? He also recognizes when I am in the room or at his aquarium cause he thinks he will be fed.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #2 
dukie1346

When I drop the pieces of algae wafer into my tank for the cories, my boy Pepper immediately swims down and catches them, but since it's bigger than his head, he drops it catches it, and drops it again. Then waits for his own food.

And my girl Berry, who is in the 1.5 gallon tank, loves to flare for her food. When I come by my desk she'll flare for a few seconds until I feed her. Bettas are such little piggies. :D
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #3 
Phoxly

They are surprisingly smart, every time I go up tot he tank just to watch them he comes up and swims back and forth along the front of the glass. I have seen videos where people teach them to jump for their food, swim through a hoop, and more. I don't doubt they have the capacity to learn patterns :)
Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #4 
Jupiter

I used to have a girl that would only eat food off the bottom, and soon all the other girls in the sorority learned from her to henpeck at the bottom. They are such pigs!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #5 
lunalove199

I herd about the jumping out of the bowl too Phoxly!! I wonder how they teach them that...I wanna try lol.
lunalove199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #6 
Phoxly

Tweezers + Bloodworms right above the surface :P I've also seen vids of people who's bettas attack their fingers, but they don't hurt cause their mouths are so small. Also saw a vid of a guy who pets his betta lol...
Old 08-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #7 
SilverCaracal

Ares attacks my fingers. I stick my finger in the water where I drop the food through and he circles it and bites it like 5 times thinking it's a chunk of food. Hehe it's my little piranah.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #8 
Cassandra90

My Betta has tried attacking my cat. I used to have him in a bowl before putting him in a 3 gal tank with heater and filter. My cat would always drink from the bowl and he would swim real fast to the top and hit my cat... Gets me laughing everytime, my cat would freak out.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #9 
loppy656

My old fish Posiden had a shrimp in his tank for a while so I would give the shrimp some flakes of food and push them down for him. Posiden wanted all the food so he learnd to scvenge for it.
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #10 
Alex09

My betta fish, Gabe, jumps out for food when I hold it above him. Didnt have to teach him or anything. I just tried it one day and he jumped like 3 inches! it's pretty neat. I still make him do it now and again.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote