Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2010, 04:10 AM   #1 
ForbiddenSecrets

Exclamation Heating Problem

Well I'm getting a nice heater for my tank once my lovely check clears [for some reason it's lagging] but I picked up a thermometer and I've come to realize... its /hot/ out here. T.T

Once I got it out of the store the little color bloop vanished and the tank has been over 82 degrees all day. From noon till 2:05 AM [why am I still up] the tank is still hotter then the thermometer will show me. I'm getting one with a much wider range of detection in the acutal morning so I can tell you all what it's really at but I'm kinda concerned.

The doors and windows to this room are completely open I was hoping to cool us all down a little. [not... that it really... changed much of anything but some stuffiness.

Advice?
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #2 
ForbiddenSecrets

Update - and someone please tell me what I should do or if I should leave it be.

Got a digital thermometer and his tank is reading during the peak of the day at 88 degrees. Can he handle this on a day to day?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #3 
Alex09

If you have a heater make sure it's unplugged. If you have a basement move him in there as it's always cooler down there. If not I really dont know what else there is to do... Dont you have an air conditioned room available?
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #4 
Kokonoko

You don't have to stress to much if the temp only reaches around 82 degrees, this is still rather fair for a betta to be in. You should only worry if its getting to 89+ as this may stress the fish, or if the temp worsens it may be fatal. Some things you can try, and I'm uncertain if this will wok effectively; Placing fans in the room its in (Industrial fans, 1 foot in radius, is what I have, works pritty well to decrease the tmep int he room a few degrees), keep the tank in shaded areas, decrease the amount of time your tank light is on on the hood.

To give you a reference point, my house is incredibly shotty and I have a poor air conditioner as well, so the house temp usually sits around 88 degrees when its really hot outside. The tempreture of the tank stays rather close behind this, and on a hot day sits around a constant 85 or so for the daylight hours.

The heater in my tank is a tetra product that doesn't activate unless it reads the tempreture of the water hitting 77 or less. So I don't worry about this adding to the water temp on hot days. The only thing you might have to worry about if your heater isn't working at all, is the sudden decrease in temp during night. Where your fish has adjusted to the 82 degrees right now, at night when the water shifts to possibly house temp of 72 (If your heater isn't working in the tank) then this can place alot of stress on the beta.

Last edited by Kokonoko; 08-17-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #5 
ForbiddenSecrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
If you have a heater make sure it's unplugged. If you have a basement move him in there as it's always cooler down there. If not I really dont know what else there is to do... Dont you have an air conditioned room available?
Sadly no - air conditioning isn't an option at this point. This is the high peak of the season however so it will be getting cooler. Also there isn't a heater running.

I've killed the light and I'm planning on trying to move him somewhere.... cooler... maybe. [Or beg the air to run]

I'm watching him carefully for now =D