Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2010, 04:21 AM   #1 
Maryrox247

Question Heating 1 gallon?

Well I tried to put my new CT boy in his 1 gallon and I noticed he was very lethargic and put him in a breeders net in my 20 gallon which has 80 degree water constantly. What heater would be safe (and not way TOO expensive! like 20$ or less please!) and I could tell the water was FREEZING it was 70 degrees or so. Would the Hydor Mini for 2-5 gallon tanks be okay, or is there a better option? Any help is greatly appreciated!Thanks!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #2 
Josiee

Heating tiny little tanks like yours is very difficult... You'd be much better off getting a 2-5 gallon and then using your heater! Plus then your fish would have more room :)
Josiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #3 
Welsh

I think the hydor may overheat your tank, I find the hydor mini heaters are very unreliable, your better of going for a heater that is adjustable, that way you can control the temps and wont end up frying your betta lol, or you could upgrade to a slightly bigger tank like Josiee said, I used a 25w heater in my 2.5 gallon and it kept the temps at a steady 80f but if you don't want to upgrade then a marineland shatterproof heater I hear is a good for smaller tanks, 1-5 gallons I think it is
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #4 
Maryrox247

I cant upgrade my tank ,my parents wont let me because they think i have too many tanks lol, plus i have his tank on a shelf under my 17 gallon and anything bigger wouldnt fit. (my desk might work but i will have too wait until x-mas or hanukkah or my b-day) I will look into buying that marineland shatterproof heater! Thank you!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #5 
frogipoi

You do have to be careful, small tanks are almost impossible to heat. Good luck!
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

Dont get the Hydor Mini, as Welsh said, it will overheat your tank because it's on 24/7 even when it's 100 degrees outside, the heater will be on.
You'll cook your fish in that tank. I made that mistake once and the temp went up to 87 degrees, thankfully my fish was ok. That was in a 1st galon too.

In my 1 galon I have the Thetra Submersible 50W and it keeps the temp at a constant 78 degrees. This heater doesn't have a dial but it does have a thermostat so it tuns on and off when needed.

A better option would be a heater with a dial that'll let you adjust the temp to a more suitable for the fish. I have both, the Visi-therm and the Hydor THEO. Both work very good but the Theo is smaller so it might fit inside your 1 galon tank.

Check fosterandsmithaquatics.com. that's where I got mine from.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:33 AM   #7 
kayos

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrox247 View Post
I cant upgrade my tank ,my parents wont let me because they think i have too many tanks lol, plus i have his tank on a shelf under my 17 gallon and anything bigger wouldnt fit. (my desk might work but i will have too wait until x-mas or hanukkah or my b-day) I will look into buying that marineland shatterproof heater! Thank you!
Hum...what kind/size tank are you looking for? Find out how much it would be, we may be able to work something out before x-mas ect...no promises though...maybe you could inspire me to help you out a bit by showing how responsible you are becoming and saving up a bit of money yourself ( hint, hint...take notes...I am teaching you how to get what you want...lol)
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #8 
zelilaa

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Hum...what kind/size tank are you looking for? Find out how much it would be, we may be able to work something out before x-mas ect...no promises though...maybe you could inspire me to help you out a bit by showing how responsible you are becoming and saving up a bit of money yourself ( hint, hint...take notes...I am teaching you how to get what you want...lol)
Ummm hi... mrs/mr parent! :D I just wanted to tell you that it's really easy to find a slightly larger container. I got my 2 gallon bowl (its only two gallons but it looks HUGE) at marshalls for 10 dollars. And if you look around... you can esaily find a 2 or 3 gallon glass or plastic container for a betta. Heck, you can use an awesome 3 gallon container from the container store!! (I was seriously contemplating one) She/ he wouldn't have to save up that much money to get a bowl or tank big enough to heat... :D
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #9 
Jupiter

Try the tetra submersible heaters at Walmart. They're around $11 I think, and keep your tank at around 78 degrees. They don't seem to work in bigger tanks, but they're pretty reliable in smaller ones.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote