Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #11 
Adastra

Hate IBC standards? Without IBC and programs like it, we wouldn't have the bettas we have now. People who breed should have standards, it is the breeder's job to constantly strive for better and better fry. If you're not actively trying to improve the species, you shouldn't be breeding.

There will inevitably be fry that are unsuitable for breeding--how they are dealt with it is up to the breeder. Someone who is unprepared to kill their fry can remove the female early so that the spawn size is small, and the less desirable fry can be rehomed as pets.

Attempting to breed show quality veils is not a bad endeavor in itself, but you still have to have a goal. Personally, if I did it, I don't think I'd start with veils--probably plakats and other tail types that are available from strains that are less mutty and then work back to veil tail.

As far as going off-topic, I think the moderators should be less hesistant to simply delete off-topic posts before it gets ridiculous. That way people will learn not to do it. Not trying to be critical, I know it's an awkward thing to do because the mod doesn't want to upset people--but sometimes you have to quit being a carebear and take out the trash. Feel free to edit this paragraph out of my post.

Last edited by Adastra; 08-21-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

Well I don't hate them I just don't like trying for them which I tried to do but they're to exact for me. Like Dorsals must be at least this wide and stuff like that. I'm not an incredibly experienced breeder I was the first on this forum but I've only been doing it for a few years.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #13 
FloridaBettas239

LoL The IBC don't say your fish has to be perfect. They try to make the best fish they can, and have all different classes for beginners to expert's.
I just think if someone is going threw the trouble of breeding and going to take all the time and effort. What is 20.00 dollar's so you know when there having show's, mabey in your town... If we get lucky,,, you get updates all the time you get flare mag, you get to be on a forum with the top of the top breder's and show winner's, you get the betta standard's which is really important to breeding any kind of animal...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote