Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #1 
rhooch

new betta owner

Well I bought one finally from wally world and also bought one of those little globes for it. Had it for two weeks now and my poor fish is not doing so well. I couldnt get it to eat any thing it looks super skinny but the fins are still huge. Any way did some reading on here and now its in a one gallon tank with light and bubbler. I hope I can get some weight back on this fish. I belive it is a Crown betta with the long stringy fins purple and red. Cool looking fish just wish I could get back to normal size. Any help hints and tips would be great, and i will also keep reading this great info on the website.

Ryan
rhooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #2 
CjRager89

welcome to the site!

hate to say it but i think you didnt start with the best odds though getting a fish from wally world . But im sure youll be able to get him to normal, theyre hardy fish

i think you might want to get some sort of heater for the tank, i think most people keep their tanks between 78-86 (someone correct me if im worng). Also it helps if he has some sort of stuff to hide in, keeps the stress down (plants, little sculpture things, heck some people just use a little flower pot or mug)
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #3 
rhooch

Yeha wally world is probably one of the worst places to get a fish, but its been about a half hour sence I moved him/her to the bigger tank and he/she has already gobbled down some food and is moving around alot. I also put in a little plastic plant in there. what heater should I get for a 1 gal. tank?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #4 
CjRager89

i would suggest something like this, but make sure to get a little thermometer to keep an eye on temp since its not adjustable. Id say get the thermometer first to make sure you even need a heater.

Ex. Heater
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Mini-Hea.../dp/B0006JLPFE
Ex. Thermometer
http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Floa...d_bxgy_k_img_b
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:45 AM   #5 
Jupiter

How often did you change the water? 1 gallon tanks and smaller require frequent water changes.

It could also be that as (I'm assuming from your description) he didn't have any plants/decor, he was feeling insecure or bored. Also, be careful that the plastic plant isn't sharp enough to tear his fins!

Do you treat the water? What with?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #6 
rhooch

In the globe i had to change the water every other day. The globe didnt have any plants in it just the round glass beads. I dont really know what to use to treat the water with.... I think this week end i am going to get a bigger tank.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #7 
rhooch

Ok so I went to feed my fish and I noticed that he would chase the flakes all over the tank but he would spit them all back out... Im feeding him betta min from tetra. Is this a bad food?
Old 08-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #8 
ForbiddenSecrets

Mine used to eat flakes but I've heard and read that tons of Betta's just don't like them. I suggest making sure your remove all non-eaten flakes and get him something else to eat. Either some Betta-pellets or bloodworms from the local petstore.

Also I saw Seachem Prime [its red] suggested a lot for water conditioner and it's working well for me. A bit bigger of a tank [2.5+] would probably make it a very happy fish but even if you stick to the 1 gal just make sure you do the proper care for it.

Just don't over feed the little darling and do a lot of reading on habitat and care so you can get your little guy up to speed =D

[On a last note - pics? c: ?]
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #9 
betta fish crazy

Spitting out food can mean your betta is trying to break it down.
betta fish crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #10 
rhooch

cool thanks for all the replies... I think i wilol get some new food and maybe another one this weekend. still havent thought of a name yet....