Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #1 
thegameksk

weird stuff on bettas face?

Ok so my betta jumped out of his tank and when I came back I saw him on his back. I touched him and he jumped so I put him in his tank. This was a few hours ago. He seems ok now but there is stuff on his face. Id guess id compare it to shedding skin? I think its his slime coat that was possibly damaged from being out of the water. Does anyone know what I can do for him? Thanks.
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 AM   #2 
naturegirl243

Sorry I am not of much help my three are not jumpers *knock on wood* I would deffinatly say buy a cover or a small screen to cover the top of the tank or bowl that way it doesnt happen again.Oh and how long was he out of the tank for?a picture might help someone more experianced help you.Hope your fishie is ok :)
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:54 AM   #3 
thegameksk

I was going to change him. I had to run to my complex office to get something. Was gone maybe 30 minutes. I dont even know how he got out. I only left the cup half full. He jumped out of the cup onto the table and than from table to floor. When I came home he was on the floor. Ill post some pics tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #4 
thegameksk

Here are pics. If you look closely you can see the wgite hanging off his face and body.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #5 
Neelie

id say its his slime coat. keep his water clean and the tank dark and warm. he should recover then :) all he may need now is lots of peace.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #6 
CataclysmKitten

I say it could be the slime coat, also. He doesn't look that badly injured, so i'm glad you got him in time.
CataclysmKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #7 
Lion Mom

That is a pretty traumatic experience for the little guy - glad he is still with us!!!

I would make sure he has lots of clean water with some aquarium (or canning/kosher) salt added.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #8 
thegameksk

Yea. I need some more advice. I had a breakout of algae so I used algaefix to take care of it. I used it for a couple of days. I wokr up 2 days ago and one of my bettas is dead, 2 algae eaters are dead, and one catfish is dead. So I decided to do a full tank cleaning. I did that and used stability to starg the new cycle. I wake up today and my last 2 catfish are dead. Now im worried about my last betta. His slime coat appears to have gotten worse. He is still in the tank where everything seems to be dieing and I dont know if I should take him out or not. I only have a very small tank that id be able to keep him in as a medical tank. It doesnt have a filter and the only meds I have are API pimafix and melafix. ANy advice??
Old 08-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #9 
peaches3221

nice king betta! i used to keep Riley in a gallon size glass jar and i had just finished cleaning it and it was sitting on the counter directly in front of the sink and i accidentally knocked it over! it fell into the sink and broke! so now my fish is swimming around in a sink full broken glass! AAAAHHH!!!!! so i reach in and pick up my very slimy pet with my bare hands! so now I'm running around looking for conditioned water to put him in! i finally found some water, and now, a couple months later, Riley is just fine! (and resides in a plastic critter carrier!) so, to make along story short, he should be fine. oh, and you can use the melafix and some aquarium salt, and GRADUALLY OVER A FEW DAYS raise the water temp to about 82 degrees Fahrenheit. also put his tank in a dark spot because he's probably stressed out. hope he gets well soon!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #10 
Jupiter

He just needs time to recover. It must have been very stressful for him, but you're lucky you found him in time! He is very handsome btw.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote