Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #1 
emeltee

driftwood

There is a LFS that sells both soaked and dry driftwood. Unfortunately, the soaked pieces are way too big for me. How do I prep a dry piece of driftwood?
emeltee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #2 
Sarada

I'm not totally sure but I bought a piece and boiled it for 10 minutes then let it cool down and placed it in my tank.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #3 
Phoxly

Soak it in a bucket overnight, then boil it for about 10 minutes to half an hour. (:
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #4 
Welsh

It depends really on the size of the driftwood, I soaked my medium sized piece for a week and then put it in the tank, this was 5 months ago and i'm still draining brown water from the tank lol.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #5 
Phoxly

Oh really o___o I probably boiled mine for an hour to an hour and a half, and soaked it for 24 hours. But the LFS said just 30 minutes boiling after soaking overnight.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #6 
Welsh

Yeah, I picked up a smaller piece for my 8 gallon this week and they said to just soak it over night so I decided to listen and woke up to find my tank brown, you can see it slightly in my pic lol. I don't even know why I listened to them either, it werent like I was new to driftwood, I'm just impatient thats my problem haha
Old 08-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #7 
Phoxly

I might have boiled mine first, then soaked it... but I know after I boiled it, the whole house smelled like dark tea, and the water was SOOOO brown.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #8 
Welsh

What I do, is boil water in the kettle or a pan and then add the water to a bucket with the driftwood, leave soak for a few hours and then do it a few more times just to be on the safe side but like I said earlier I did mine for a week and everytime I take the driftwood out of the tank, the water turns a coffee colour lol. The tannins are good for the fish anyway, that's what I keep telling myself haha
Old 08-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #9 
windfire

i boil my smaller pieces until the water goes clear and that can take up to a day changing the water periodically, abit impractical if you dont have a gas stove. unfortunatly my bigger pieces i have to soak the long way at the moment they in my moms fish pond but as soon as they sink i'll be getting some purigen and adding them to my community tank. if you not mad abou the brown water you could always use purigen in your filter, it apparently works well though i've never used it myself.
windfire is offline   Reply With Quote