Originally Posted by thegameksk
I had a bad casse of algae. My tank was literally green. My lfs said I should use APIs algaefix. They told me it wouldnt hurt the fish or plants. It said the same thing on the bottle. I used exactly the suggested amount on the bottle. I started to use it. It did nothing to my algae. I wokr up 2 days ago to find 2 catfish dead, 2 algae eaters dead, and one of my bettas dead. I did a full cleaning of my tank after this and stopped using it. The next day I awoke to find my 2 other catfish dead. After this I removed my last betta from the tank. This morning I awoke to find him dead. Never use this stuff it will kill your fish. My question is what do I do about my tank? Im scared to put anything else in the tank.
I had the same experience with a medication. My LFS said it would not kill my bacteria and the back of the box also said it.
So a few days later I tested the water out of curiosity and the ammonia was off the roof! Fortunately my fish hadn't been affected yet but I had to redo the entire fish tank.
Check your water parameters and make sure everything is alright, you might have damaged your cycle.
Still, I would start over with a new cycle and then add fish.
If your fish are all dead there's definitely something going on.