Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #1 
thegameksk

Please read. Never use Algaefix

I had a bad casse of algae. My tank was literally green. My lfs said I should use APIs algaefix. They told me it wouldnt hurt the fish or plants. It said the same thing on the bottle. I used exactly the suggested amount on the bottle. I started to use it. It did nothing to my algae. I wokr up 2 days ago to find 2 catfish dead, 2 algae eaters dead, and one of my bettas dead. I did a full cleaning of my tank after this and stopped using it. The next day I awoke to find my 2 other catfish dead. After this I removed my last betta from the tank. This morning I awoke to find him dead. Never use this stuff it will kill your fish. My question is what do I do about my tank? Im scared to put anything else in the tank.
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #2 
prettylittlefishy

I'd take the rest of the fish out and just use elbow grease and scrub it hard.
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegameksk View Post
I had a bad casse of algae. My tank was literally green. My lfs said I should use APIs algaefix. They told me it wouldnt hurt the fish or plants. It said the same thing on the bottle. I used exactly the suggested amount on the bottle. I started to use it. It did nothing to my algae. I wokr up 2 days ago to find 2 catfish dead, 2 algae eaters dead, and one of my bettas dead. I did a full cleaning of my tank after this and stopped using it. The next day I awoke to find my 2 other catfish dead. After this I removed my last betta from the tank. This morning I awoke to find him dead. Never use this stuff it will kill your fish. My question is what do I do about my tank? Im scared to put anything else in the tank.
That's horrible!
I had the same experience with a medication. My LFS said it would not kill my bacteria and the back of the box also said it.
So a few days later I tested the water out of curiosity and the ammonia was off the roof! Fortunately my fish hadn't been affected yet but I had to redo the entire fish tank.

Check your water parameters and make sure everything is alright, you might have damaged your cycle.
Still, I would start over with a new cycle and then add fish.

If your fish are all dead there's definitely something going on.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #4 
thegameksk

There are no more fish in the tank. That stuff killed them all. The only thing in it now is live plants. I want to get more fish but im worried about outting anything else in it
Old 08-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #5 
Kokonoko

Yea... I personally would start over completely. Empty the tank out, scrub everything down thuroughly, rinse everything off, and restart on the whole cycling shabamb again. =( I'm really sorry to hear this happened!

Prittylittlefish said, elbow grease time.

PS: Imo, I'd be giveing some "what-for" to the people who sold me it, asking them to please put some in thier fish tanks as an example!
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #6 
thegameksk

Do you think I should get rid of the plants? Could whatever killed the fish still be on the plants and possibly kill more fish??
Old 08-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #7 
vaygirl

I'd get rid of the plants too, just in case.

I just googled Algaefix and killing fish and found you're not the only one this happened to. :(

Last edited by vaygirl; 08-20-2010 at 09:38 PM.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

Anything API (except for Stress Coat, Stress Zyme, Aquarium Salt, and BettaFix all of which I use) is bad for bettas.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #9 
thegameksk

So how do I clean the tank? After the first few fish died I scrubbed it with hot water. What else can I use that wont harm any new fish I purchase?

Also can a mod put this information about Algaefix into a sticky? I dont want this happening to anyone else.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #10 
vaygirl

Good question. I'd think hot water would do the trick but obviously you've done that. Maybe hot water and then let it sit out in the sun for a day or two, then more hot water. I've heard of people using vinegar. You could try that. Just make sure you rinse really, really well. I know you're probably leery of using anything on it. :/
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote