Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2010, 03:08 AM   #1 
Phoxly

Betta Trapped! [Pics] :(

My betta was trapped in the side entry for the Co2 dispersant ladder, I have no idea how the hell he got up there but I am so scared right now. I pried the ladder off the wall and got him out, he is very lethargic and has not even come up for air. I don't know what to do guys... :( I have a pic but it breaks my heart. I thought he was dead at first..... The space is literally half a penny wide, he had to have climbed up through the bottom of it, the sides are flush against the tank... GAH!

So.. WHAT DO I DO WITH HIM. I have no emergency kit or side tank to put him, I thought of putting him in a bowl with his java fern so he can easily get air... but I don't know guys... Ugh this is so hard. I literally saved his life by some crazy chance that I had to return home. I was barely gone 3 hours.

Also, my male black phantom tetra is very pale white. I don't know what happened with him, but this damned Co2 system better not be the cause of it or I will have kittens.

The gruesome pic...
Attached Images

Last edited by Phoxly; 08-20-2010 at 03:16 AM.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:25 AM   #2 
Phoxly

Okay... he finally swam to the top and got some air, now he is hanging out on his java fern... He's really weak, and his body color is alot lighter than normal. Tomorrow I will get a test kit for Co2... Just to make sure there isn't too much in the water..

Update: HE JUST went up for his second breathe of air... now he's kinda acting normal... except he's hanging out on top of the very Co2 ladder that got him nearly killed.

I placed a large rock underneath where the Co2 dispenser opens up about 1/4" so now he can't fit. His face was RIGHT by where the co2 bubbles come out... Eh. This is tough.

I think he is resting on top of it cause he can get air easier... :)
Old 08-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #3 
dipsydoodlenoodle

He'll probably be a little upset/shocked that he got stuck :(.

I hope he is ok for you :)
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #4 
Owlets

Oh my godddd! That poor guy :(!
I'm sure he's just in shock, it might take him a while to calm down. That picture makes me so sad, I'm so paranoid about something like that happening to my fish.
Ugh, lets hope he gets better <3
Owlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #5 
Phoxly

I absolutely couldn't believe it, but he is a little better this morning, he isn't swimming around as much, he's eating though! I got so lucky here, no fin damage either.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #6 
Sarada

Sounds like he's going to be ok, maybe add some more substrate so he can't do it again.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #7 
Phoxly

I do want to add some substrate cause some plants are barely hanging in there. I can actuallly lower the co2 canister so its flush with the ground, and I just may do that to be safe.

He's being very reclusive, but he did come up to see me when I opened the tank hood and popped 2-3 pellets in there :D but the tetras ate them. .___. so he got a bloodworm.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #8 
FireKidomaru

wow! thats crazy! i would have peed my pants if i saw that..he sounds like hes just scared and need more time to calm down...he should be fine...im glad his tail wasnt cut up and that hes eating...keep us updated
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #9 
vaygirl

YIKES! I'm glad he's doing better. Poor thing. That would scare the crap out of me!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #10 
Phoxly

I was panicking so bad, he seems to be back to his normal self, he keeps swimming around the rock blocking where he swam up though. So I might need to get some aquarium seal and just cover up that bottom opening, there's no need for it. Thanks for the support! I'll get a pic of him sometime today when he's laying around his plants.

Last edited by Phoxly; 08-20-2010 at 02:53 PM.