Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #1 
KewtyPatootie

General water change question

Hi there,

I have a few bettas, one living in a 1G ish shallow vase, and the other in a 10G community tank. I do partial water changes weekly, but recently I have developed a paranoid due to minor fin rot issues IMMEDIATELY following the water change.

If I'm only doing 20%ish water change, the bacteria should still remain throughout the water/gravel.. so why would my fish's fins fall off?

And another thing I've always been curious about, many people buy small tanks and put bettas in immediately without cycling. I am guilty of this as well in the PAST because I was never informed by the petstore.
But in my case, the fish never looked stress or get finrot even with the absence of nitrates and probably spiking ammonia levels. Technically, shouldn't the fish be sick and have the signs show under these conditions?

I'm pretty confused, and I don't exactly know what works in everyone's cases.
KewtyPatootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #2 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewtyPatootie View Post
Hi there,

I have a few bettas, one living in a 1G ish shallow vase, and the other in a 10G community tank. I do partial water changes weekly, but recently I have developed a paranoid due to minor fin rot issues IMMEDIATELY following the water change.

If I'm only doing 20%ish water change, the bacteria should still remain throughout the water/gravel.. so why would my fish's fins fall off?

And another thing I've always been curious about, many people buy small tanks and put bettas in immediately without cycling. I am guilty of this as well in the PAST because I was never informed by the petstore.
But in my case, the fish never looked stress or get finrot even with the absence of nitrates and probably spiking ammonia levels. Technically, shouldn't the fish be sick and have the signs show under these conditions?

I'm pretty confused, and I don't exactly know what works in everyone's cases.
Sorry to say this but, I seriously dis-agree with keeping Bett's in Vases, Its not fair on them as its too small , and they cannot swim around, the ammonia builds up rapidly in them.

All bad for your fish.

Are you using a Water Dechlorinator in your water changes?

Spiking Ammonia levels are dangerous to your fish and could kill them
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #3 
KewtyPatootie

Of course I use a water dechlorinator :P. I also check my ammonia levels.
The vase isn't really a vase, it's more of a shallow 5 inch? 1.5ft in diameter round glass bowl. I bought it specifically for that betta because he can't sink due to swim bladder issues, and needs the shallow water in order to get around.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #4 
FloridaBettas239

Have you added a stress/slime coat conditioner?
Have you added any aquarium salt? It's like us drinking water all day, sooner or later we will need some gatorade to quench are thirst. And they also need some salt in there water to help give them electrolytes and it really helps a lot...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #5 
Saroar

Are you using water conditioner?
That could be a cause of the problem.
Saroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #6 
Kokonoko

I guess theres a few diffirent things to consider. Are you for sure its fin rot? Versus it being normal fin tear or biting? If its fin rot, there will be mild discoloration near the edges of the torn fin (Darker then usuall in color). The reason I say this is because you say it was immediately following a water change? As in it wasn't there before and then POOF! It was there? It seems rather sudden for it to be finrot, but then again I'm not to experienced with the issue yet!

Also, if it does have fin rot, it generally wont effect the fishes over-all health until it becomes sever enough to limit its swimming capabilities, or if it worsens into body rot(?). This is why your fish would seem normally healthy in attitude over all.

Also(!!lol), just as general knowledge, the lack of nitrates in a 1g would be a good thing. None of these are good for fish; Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate (nitrate to a lesser extension, but still bad). Its the bacteria that transfers Nitrite to Nitrate that are good. As stated before, spiking ammonia levels can stress a fish out, lowerling its over-all immunity. The best way to avoid this in a 100% water change every other day (I believe so atleast, a more experience person will correct me if not).
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #7 
prettylittlefishy

Yes, in a 1G vase not cycled and unfiltered every other day 100% water changes are neccessary. It sounds like it could be ammonia burns, too.
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:52 AM   #8 
KewtyPatootie

I have checked my 10G ammonia levels at home, and also took a sample to a petstore...who said that there was no ammonia, nitrites, NOR nitrates! :/
So I asked if he were sure about the lack of nitrates, and he said there was barely any..

The betta in that tank suffered from minor fin tattering as well a few days ago, and since my water tests don't really recognize traces of ammonia, I am not sure that it would have been a chemical burn.

As for the SBD fish, I definitely change the water daily.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #9 
vaygirl

Are you using strip tests? They never give an accurate reading. The best kit is a liquid test kit. I never got those dip strips to detect anything. Testing for ammonia at home is super important. You should pick up a better testing kit that you can rely on.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:26 AM   #10 
FloridaBettas239

You must no know how to use those strip's, we are only taking care of bettas here not saltwater. You don't need that big test kit. I watched my 55 go threw it's cycle with the strips the on week 3.5 I was able to start adding fish. I use them on my breeding tanks and tropical. The strips are what my pet store uses on all there fish and there fine. But you can spend your money where you want, just remember it's not rocket seience. Anyway I just like to clear things up when someone says something does not even work. All you have to do is read it one get held under water for not even a second the other get swished around for 10 seconds.
When people are having this much trouble with fresh water, they would never be able do keep saltwater,,
Also please remember no matter salt or fresh water. The bigger the tank the easier everything is. The less forgiving it is on you and your fish!!!
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote