Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #1 
chrissysaurus

Need help with my female betta

I've had betta fish in the past, but they were always male.
This year, my friend gave me a female betta fish, and this is the first time I've ever had a female one.

So she's about 5-7 months old or so... and the past month I've noticed she's been making bubble nests, so I was a bit confused about her gender since I always heard that only males make the bubble nests.

Then this week I've noticed her belly was getting swollen and a white dot was under her belly, so I thought I was overfeeding her (I feed her 3-5 pellets a day). Today her belly looked REALLY swollen so I only gave her one pellet. I also noticed that white dot under her belly was much more apparent.

Im gone from my room for a few hours, then I come back, look in her tank, and I see eggs in her bubble nest! I was surprised.

But now, hours after she laid those eggs, she seems to be picking at the eggs, or perhaps even eating them? Or maybe just placing the eggs elsewhere in the nest, I cant tell. (shes also still adding bubbles to her bubble nest as I type)

What should I do during this time? Should I remove the eggs from the tank or let her eat them (I hear that female bettas ''re-absorb'' eggs)? Also, do I need to change the water, feed her more/less, add something to the water, etc? Help would be appreciated.

EDIT: There is no male betta around, she is the only fish in the tank. I am also not interested in breeding her, hehe.

Last edited by chrissysaurus; 08-26-2010 at 11:51 PM.
chrissysaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #2 
Bettas are Betta

wow! What if she thinks shes a male and female.
Male: bubble nest
Female: eggs
Male: adding bubbbles and maybe placing the eggs in stronger spots in bubble nest.

I heard that can happen when the female thinks shes a male and female!
Bettas are Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:10 AM   #3 
LoveSGSE

Haha wow. Interesting. She's probably eating them, but don't worry. She won't be bloated. You can do a wc for her to clear off the eggs. Just return to normal wc and feeding schedule. After she laid her eggs, her belly won't look so bloated. I've got a female that laid eggs and ate it herself. No problem
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #4 
chrissysaurus

by WC do you mean water conditioning? I changed the water for her tank about 2 days ago and added some water conditioner, but should I do it again anyway? The brand I use is Nutrafin Betta Plus. Also, even though I changed the water 2 days ago, should I change it again?

And yeah, I noticed she looks much skinnier now.

..and she really thinks shes both female and male? Wow, lol.

Last edited by chrissysaurus; 08-27-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #5 
Sarada

Females can flare and make bubble nests. The white dot is normal for a female. That is where her eggs come out of. Her bloat was probably just because she was full of eggs. Females can make eggs and drop without a male present. The eggs will probably never hatch in a situation like this.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

How interesting and special fish you have, I have only read about females doing this and have never seen it myself...lucky you....could you post a pic.......she really has strong procreation instinct....that is so neat.......
And what everyone else has posted I agree, she will most likely tend the eggs until they fungus and then eat them and that is a good snack for her, she may poop white for a day or so and this is normal, I would make an extra water change as the rotting eggs may cause an ammonia spike if she doesn't eat all the eggs.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #7 
Ajones108

It would be interesting if this female was somehow a he/she and fertilized her own eggs, tended to the nest, and you somehow ended up with hundreds of betta fry...
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #8 
chrissysaurus

Heres a picture of my fish

I know, shes in the 1 liter tank temporarily. Please dont say I am cruel =/ Im waiting on money to buy her a nice 1 gallon tank.

You can see the bubble nest above her.

And to Oldfishlady, should I remove all the eggs right now?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #9 
Sarada

Wow she/he does have very long fins :P
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Its hard to tell from the pic but it sure looks like a male, but it has to be a female since it dropped eggs...lol......

I would make a water change and remove the eggs in a day or so, give her time to eat them, they are good for her...

Can you get a better pic of you betta so we can see it better....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote