Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #1 
ScuitoAmi150

Question Weird corycat. help?

I just got a Peppered Cory from Petsmart like yesterday. Anyway, I don't know much about them but he seems to be acting weird.

He sits in the darkest corner of the tank (I read they are sensitive to light, hopefully I can find the right sized Terracota pot tomorrow).

The lady at the store (who owns Corys) told me to feed him bottom feeder shrimp pellets that sink. I put one in last night, this morning & tonight. He won't touch them. He just sits in his little dark corner. A few minutes ago he was exploring the side of the tank. He seemed to be looking for food so I dropped a pellet in....he ignored it.

Is this normal behavior? He is in with my mosquito fish right now so I don't think he should be lonely.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #2 
Cassandra90

That is unusual, I have 6 cory cats and all of them are active and love shrimp pellets.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #3 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra90 View Post
That is unusual, I have 6 cory cats and all of them are active and love shrimp pellets.
The ones I saw in the tank were very active! I wasn't able to pick him out though. One of the fish ladies went to show me the right food (never been to Petsmart before. <3 it!) & the other lady got a Cory for me.
Most of them in the tank were small, social & very active (although with slightly torn fins). She said she chose the one with the best looking fins.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #4 
Cassandra90

I would give it a few days, check the water, and usually aquarium lights should be on only 6 hours a day. So try doing that. Another food you could possibly try is Algea Disc Wafers. Mine eat those too. Also they strive in groups. Atleast 3 or more.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #5 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
I would give it a few days, check the water, and usually aquarium lights should be on only 6 hours a day. So try doing that. Another food you could possibly try is Algea Disc Wafers. Mine eat those too. Also they strive in groups. Atleast 3 or more.
I don't have lights on any of my aquariums. So when I'm not home they get the light from the window (none of my tanks are in direct sunlight. They are all atleast 1/2 room away) & when I am home they get the ceiling light. All of my bettas seem to be happy how it is.

I'm kinda hesitant about getting another fish, I'm leaving for college in a year & I have waaaay too many tanks to take with me or for my mom to have to clean. Would he be okay in with my sorority?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #6 
ScuitoAmi150

Oh yeah, I only have the mosquito fish for probably another month (they're my teacher's fish) so I'd have to find him a tank mate. Not sure how any of my males would like him.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #7 
Cassandra90

I dont see a problem with putting him with a sorority tank. I would be cautious with the males. Some are ok with other fish and others are aggressive towards new fish in the tank. My male does not like any other fish, snail or frog in his tank.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #8 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
I dont see a problem with putting him with a sorority tank. I would be cautious with the males. Some are ok with other fish and others are aggressive towards new fish in the tank. My male does not like any other fish, snail or frog in his tank.
Okay I'll try that when I bring these other fish back. Kinda nervous about adding anything to my sorority. I just when through a month of having Drama in the sorority. xD Girls would NOT get along (then I got Nola & everyone started behaving again).
Old 08-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #9 
Cassandra90

First try getting it back to a normal cory cat. I have a 55 gal. and they are all over it, with no fear of my much larger tank mates.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:44 PM   #10 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
First try getting it back to a normal cory cat. I have a 55 gal. and they are all over it, with no fear of my much larger tank mates.
What sized tank do you think is too small for a peppered cory? The ladies at Petsmart thought that a 5.5g would be okay...