Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #11 
Pixierella

Wink Dad isn't eating them

All the pictures I have seen of newborn fry are much bigger than what I am seeing, these things aren't much bigger than a grain of sand and daddy isn't eating them, all he is doing is blowing more bubbles in the nest and keeping watch, I've been watching him for over an hour now, he shows no sign of eating them. He wasn't big into the live foods either, he wouldn't eat them, only pellets and non-hatching brine shrimp eggs. As I have said any images of babies that I have seen are so much bigger than the practically microscopic babies I have. I wouldn't consider them exactly big enough to eat even vinegar eels at this point, they're really really tiny. They're are some microscopic worms in there already that they are chasing and yes, I do have live plants in both my spawning tanks Anacharis or something like that I think, my memory isn't great right now cause I've got fry on the brain.
Pixierella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #12 
bettalover2033

haha cool sounds like you are doing a good job can you take pictures?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #13 
prettylittlefishy

The fry will eat microscopic life on the plants, too.
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:35 AM   #14 
purplemuffin

A lot of the pictures you'll see are SUPER SUPER ZOOMED!! Have you seen this? http://www.bettatalk.com/fry_growth.htm if you make the line equal an inch long (Ctrl + to zoom, Ctrl - to zoom out) the size should be what you see! They are itty bitty babies!

From what I've seen dads can be ok with their young..but when they start free swimming he'll eat them! :( At least most/a lot of them! Eek! Some dads are better than others, but once they are out of the nest there isn't much good he does for them anyway right?
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:50 AM   #15 
Pixierella

Lightbulb hrm...what I've read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
From what I've seen dads can be ok with their young..but when they start free swimming he'll eat them! :( At least most/a lot of them! Eek! Some dads are better than others, but once they are out of the nest there isn't much good he does for them anyway right?
I read a post on here, I think it was from OldFishLady but I'm not sure, and I'm sorry if I'm wrong, someone was saying that she found she could keep the males (fry) together as long as a year if you keep the dad in the tank with them...
Old 08-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #16 
Pixierella

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
A lot of the pictures you'll see are SUPER SUPER ZOOMED!! Have you seen this? http://www.bettatalk.com/fry_growth.htm if you make the line equal an inch long (Ctrl + to zoom, Ctrl - to zoom out) the size should be what you see! They are itty bitty babies!
Wow! That is really kewl, thank you!
Old 08-21-2010, 02:23 AM   #17 
Pixierella

Exclamation Flipped out Daddy

so per some urging I took the dad out and put him in his tank, talk about major flip out! He was going nuts, I thought he was gonna have a heart attack, so since he's not harming the babies, I'm gonna keep him in there for awhile longer. I know he needs recoop time after the ordeal but if it's gonna cause him a bunch of stress being out of the spawn tank, I'd rather wait until it's more necessary for him to have to come out of the spawn tank instead of a maybe.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #18 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixierella View Post
I read a post on here, I think it was from OldFishLady but I'm not sure, and I'm sorry if I'm wrong, someone was saying that she found she could keep the males (fry) together as long as a year if you keep the dad in the tank with them...
if i were you i wouldnt do it because she is a more experienced breeder. so dont try it:/
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #19 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixierella View Post
so per some urging I took the dad out and put him in his tank, talk about major flip out! He was going nuts, I thought he was gonna have a heart attack, so since he's not harming the babies, I'm gonna keep him in there for awhile longer. I know he needs recoop time after the ordeal but if it's gonna cause him a bunch of stress being out of the spawn tank, I'd rather wait until it's more necessary for him to have to come out of the spawn tank instead of a maybe.
Good dads can become very bad dads if you disturb him in this way. If he's not eating his fry, you can keep him in there a while longer. But if he turns nasty..... just be ready.

In all cases you must understand the character of each individual fish. The only way you can know that is by trial and error. Usually (IME) a dad will not eat fry if he doesn't eat them them from the beginning. So in these cases you can leave dad in there as long as he isn't aggressive. To achieve that, NEVER flare him with other adults - specially females.
If he starts to make a new bubble nest, I suggest you remove him immediately. He won't eat the fry but he may kill them (if fry is bigger) to protect his new nest.IME ...... I leave dad with fry for 1 month.

Btw, congrats and good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #20 
1fish2fish

As long as he isn't eating the fry he is fine to be left in there. IMO its BETTER to leave the father in there as long as possible for his sake. Males can get extremely depressed once removed from their fry which can lower their immune systems.

Many breeders leave the male with the fry for very long periods of time. Like I said, as long as he's not eating the fry there is no reason to take him out.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote