Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #21 
Oldfishlady

As the fry hatch they will use/absorb their yolk sac for nutrition, healthy fry should bounce to and fro under the nest and most should be able to get themselves back to the nest without assist from the father, however, the father will assist as needed, he will eat the weak, deformed, unhealthy fry and you want him to do this so only the strong and healthy survive.

Once the fry become free swimming (usually 3-4 days from hatch) they will find microscopic food, if you have live plants and snails all the better, also the bubble nest and light is reported to draw infusoria and other micro critters that the fry will snap at and eat.

You want to leave the male in the tank at least until the fry are free swimming and as posted by indjo-you want to disturb him as little as possible and if you remove him I would not put him back in...that can be risky for the life of the fry
You want to leave a small amount of light on either over the tank or diffused light so he can see until the fry are free swimming as well

They grow fast and even as small as they are now within 7-10 days they should be nearly double in size if not more.
They will grow at different rates as well- as related to hatch time..so some will be much bigger than others and this is to be expected
A good first added food I like to use is newly hatched brine shrimp that I start feeding at about day 6-7-they should be large enough to eat them by that time
You want just hatched brine shrimp any older and they can be too big and the older the BBS over 24h they too absorb the yolk sac and will have very little nutrition and the fry can starve to death even though they are eating

If you look at their stomach-it should look round-if the stomach has little black dots then they are eating infusoria and other micro critters-round pink/orange stomach is what you want to see when feeding NHBBS

You don"t want to underfeed as you don't want to overfeed either-both can cause problems in the delicate new born fry-best way to tell is by looking at the stomach...

As far as father removal-as 1fish, indjo and others have posted-I would leave the father with the fry at least until most of the fry are free swimming....the longer the better in my experience...the father also teaches them how to eat some foods by the way-not just to protect...

Try your best to not disturb him......

Congrats on your success and good luck rearing the fry.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #22 
bettalover2033

OFL said it all!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #23 
Pixierella

Wink Can't see any babies ATM

So, I took daddy out, he was fine this time. I'm not sure where the babies are though. I've been feeding them vinegar eels but haven't seen them in a couple days. I know their really small so I'm thinking they may be hiding in the plants. I figure that in about a week if I still can't see anything then babies have either been 1. eaten by daddy when I wasn't watching or 2. Died for some unknown reason. In other news, I have 2 spawn tanks, the one that had babies was the bottom tank, I now have eggs in the bubble nest in the top tank so I should get babies here in the next few hours or so is when I figure they should start hatching. Mommy is still in there as well as daddy so I'm not sure if they're done or not but I'll probably take her out soon. As I've said before, I'll try to keep you all posted on what's happening.
Pixierella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:31 PM   #24 
bettalover2033

isnt breeding excited and unpredictable? i want to have a successful spawn so bad i at least want to see the embracing for my self and enjoy the challenges that come!! keep us posted!!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #25 
Pixierella

Unhappy Both Spawns failed...

ok so spawn number one failed for unknown reasons, I thought maybe the babies were hiding in the plants so I kept feeding them but alas, they mysteriously disappeared. Spawn number 2 got eggs, mommy was chomping at the nest so OUT she came and I waited for the eggs to hatch more than 48 hours and nothing, then the eggs disappeared so I thought maybe daddy ate them after they hatched? Oh well, if at first you don't succeed try try again :) Both females got their recoop time and then went into the sorority tank just yesterday and are doing fine, both daddy's are fine as well. Will be trying a different pair after I get the tanks back to where I want them. Ugh...
Pixierella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #26 
bettalover2033

Well maybe this time you will have a successful spawn, who knows:)
Old 08-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #27 
betta99

i hope your next spawn is successful!

r.i.p 1st spawn
betta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #28 
bettalover2033

me too!!
Old 08-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #29 
zelilaa

hee hee :3 almost NO ONES spawns are successful the first time.
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #30 
bettalover2033

besides Mr vamps