Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #1 
FuulieQ

Unhappy Possible Parasite?

I've had Freedy for about a year and a half now. A few weeks ago, I introduced some some small spotted ramshorn snails into his tank from a different aquarium (the goldfish in there appeared healthy and had been there for some time as far as I know. I took care of it, it ate like a pig). I then fed him some bloodworms as a treat, and a pellet. He got constipated, so I fasted him a few days. He did unclog himself, but his poo was encased in a strange white coating. It's been two days, and it still looks like that. He still acts and eats like normal, although I've been feeding him less as a precaution. Could he have a parasite? How would he have gotten it- from the snails, or the bloodworms? I've had to leave and I'll be gone two more days- if it IS a parasite, will it be too late to save him by the time I get back?

This comes at a very bad time... I finally managed to cure his persistant finrot and tail biting (it's grown back beautifully), got him a brand new five gallon, and bought him some aquatic plants (anubias nana, they're also in the tank). I'm about to go on a two-week visit to some relatives, and I'm already traveling right now. If he suddenly gets worse, I know the people taking care of him for me won't know what to do... and I don't want to kill the plants with harsh chemicals!
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #2 
Adastra

If the fish is still eating, you can treat with medicated food. It won't hurt your plants, and it addresses the parasite problem directly. I recommend a food with the ingredients praziquantel and metronidazole, such as Jungle's Anti-Parasite Medicated Food. It is available at most Petco/smarts.

If he is no longer eating, which is a common symptom of parasites, you'll have to treat the water with a tablet. You want one with the ingredients praziquantel and metronidazole.. if it has levamisole in it also, even better. I have had some success with Jungle's Parasite Clear tabs. Antiparasitic medications are different from antibiotics--they aren't as harsh, and fish tend to respond very well to them. You could have the people taking care of him treat him for parasites in a separate container, such as a rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bin. These storage bins are very cheap, only about $3 for a 4 gallon container. They can be safely heated and make great hospital/isolation/quarantine tanks.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #3 
Chicklet

Parasites are not something you can only get from eating food or from another fish or snail, They can pick it up from the very tank there living into, with nothing new being added. Fish just like dogs and cats should be wormed on a regular basic to help maintain good health.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #4 
FuulieQ

Wait, so they can get parasites even without anything new being introduced into the tank? How would that work? I've been very good about water changes, heating, filtration.... I noticed a planaria in there today (just got back) but that hitched a ride with the plants, I think. Are the parasites something that... usually exists in water, but can become a problem if the fish is stressed? :/

So the new snails wouldn't have carried parasites with them?

I read some other comments about the jungle pellets, so I picked them up on my way home. He ate them eagerly, and then promptly spat them out. I'm thinking a day of fasting will make him less picky.

He seems to be acting normal. I just put a mirror up for him and he's going crazy.

Thanks for the advice, guys.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #5 
FuulieQ

Anyone? Do snails carry parasites for bettas?

I just saw a poop yesterday that looked normal... now I'm confused. :/
Old 08-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have no idea. I hope someone will come along soon who can answer your question.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #7 
FuulieQ

Thanks. :)

I still have the medicated food for him in case his poop starts looking weird again. But I'm not there to see right now, so I hope things haven't slid for him when I get back.

I'm still worried about the white around his eye, though. I hope it's gone when I return on Wednesday. This little guy has me worried in the most ridiculous way.