Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2010, 02:33 AM   #1 
purplemuffin

Koi koi koi

My parents have a goldfish/koi pond.. They are a bit upset, they made a mistake their first time around and all their goldfish died! The goldfish we purchased had been bought from a breeder, were super tame and living happy lives up until then too! Well, the guy decided to take off for a while and close up shop, and my parents bought new fish from petsmart this time. These guys are SOOOO SKITTISH!! It's ridiculous! Very wild, and since we have given them a ton of rocks and crevices and things to hide in...For a week, my parents thought something had eaten all their fish!

I've been taking the time to tame them this summer, and it's finally starting to pay off! Usually when I walk up I'll see all the goldfish huddled together(I believe we have 6 very young goldfish) but usually the koi are nowhere in sight. By the time I make it to the pond the fish have scattered, sometimes one or two will stay out(but on the opposite end from me and at the very bottom of the water) so, I'll feed them. I never used to know if they were even eating or not, they wouldn't come to the top if people were around. Finally, the last two days they have been eating while I sit by the pond watching! The koi have magically reappeared(and they have growwwn!) but they swim so fast, crazy ninja fish!

I'm pretty happy about how it's going.. We have had them for a few weeks now and it's good to see some progress. I'm still so sad about the first fishies, they were so curious and friendly! But I have hope for these guys! Maybe someday they will sit still enough for me to get a picture for you!

:) One koi is absolutely lovely, he has a gold yellow head and most of his body is white.. Very pretty!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #2 
Hermitpaws

ooooh ill be looking for your next post i love koi( not to mention my bettas name is koi :)
Hermitpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #3 
Drift

We bought "feeder" goldfish and put them in our little fish pond in the yard. The one is huge! They slowly warm up, and we have babies every year but they end up eating all of them. We also put minnows in the pond and they're still there too!
When we feed them it's a hilarious frenzy. :)
Good luck with your Koi pond, they'll come around soon enough!
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #4 
bloo97

Pics!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #5 
prettylittlefishy

I have a big backyard, and I was going to get an alligator, but winters would be too cold, so I think I'm going to get a koi pond, or a natural pool w/ grotto.
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #6 
bloo97

ALLIGATOR?!? Who are you? Terri Irwin? LOL
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #7 
betta99

good luck with your koi pond. and lol @ prettylittlefishy. an alligator in michigan?! xD
betta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:53 AM   #8 
purplemuffin

Hahaha! Alligator..You and my boyfriend both. He's determined we will one day live in a place where we can(SAFELY) house a caiman! But for now our fiercest critter is our pacman frog. :)

The fish are getting less skittish, though the koi just do not like being around people at ALL! I wish I could get them to eat with me watching, it would help I think if they knew food came from me!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

The daughter of a neighbor of mine had an alligator, or rather her husband did. One day she (the daughter) was in the basement doing laundry and the alligator, who was kept in a children's plastic pool, cornered her and she had to get up on the washer to get away from it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #10 
prettylittlefishy

I've my share of reptile training. And caimans, if I'm correct are now illegal in the whole US for pets I think...
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote