Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #1 
soleilvie

How do I clean out the poo?!

I have a 5 gallon hex and the gravel vac I have is a complete nightmare. I'm thinking it's the shape of the tank that is causing this to be such a problem. I can change the water 10 times faster with a cup than I can with this stupid gravel vac. I've just been changing the water about twice a week using a cup, dumping 1/3 of the old water into a bucket and replacing the tank with fresh conditioned water. But there's still all this poo stuck in between the gravel! Any ideas of what I can do?
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #2 
Phoxly

I use a syphon vac, I actually have two, one with a tiny hose, one with a big hose, the big hose actually syphons WAY faster and stronger, but you can try swishing the end of the vac back and forth to create tiny waves to kick up the poop?
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

This is what I do:
-place the gravel vac in your sink.
-fil the tube with water through the wide end until it starts coming out without bubbles through the narrow end.
-Cover both ends of the vac with your fingers and carry to the tank
-summerge the wide end into the aquarium and release your finger from the wide end once it's under water level.
-release the narrow end into a bucket
Works like a charm everytime!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #4 
Owlets

My vac is amazing, or maybe its because I suck on the end to get it started so the flow is fast, hahaha. Works like magic. Although I've gotten more than my fair share of fish water in my mouth.

My vac had a phase when it had horrible suction, but it turned out it was just clogged with a tiny rock.

I dunno if any of this will help you at all, sorry! Hahaha
Owlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:50 PM   #5 
Phoxly

I use the scoop method to start mine. I scoop water into the tube, let it run down, scoop more, and then dunk it so it starts sucking off the water that was already on the way down. :D
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:05 AM   #6 
Owlets

Owhhhh Phoxly, I love your betta!
Owlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #7 
ScuitoAmi150

I have a gasoline sypon (new, never used for gas). Pthe end with the long tubing under the water & put your thumb over the tubing on the other side. Press down on the bulb in the middle & when you let go of that the suction has started.
I used to have one of those ones you put completely under water to get the suction started. NIGHTMARE. Go to your local VIP & get a gas sypon.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #8 
Jupiter

I've always had a hard time with gravel vacs, so I don't use them-especially since one of my tanks is a really find sand-like gravel anyway.

I just use a turkey baster!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #9 
Wildfire

For a cheap method, you can always try a turkey baster. :P That's what I use. Granted, I have a 2 gallon tank, but basters are good for those hard to reach, really specific areas.
Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #10 
BlueHaven

I have a 2.5 gallon aquarium so I use a turkey baster, it does well in sucking up the poo stuck in the gravel because the end of it is small and you can poke though the gravel with it. But using a siphon works better for larger tanks, you can get a mini one. You would need to put your fish in a temporary bowl while you clean the gravel though otherwise it can stress the fish out. Just make sure you use the same water from the aquarium for the bowl or the temperature will be too different. You usually only have to siphon the gravel out every 1-2 weeks, depending on what your routine water change is. :)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote