Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #1 
The Game

Do I need a filter?

Hi everyone, I was thinking of breeding betta and ive done my research but Im just not sure if I need a filter/pump in the breeding tank? Im going to have a heater in there and I know that you need wate circulation with a heater. What kind of filter should I use or should I even use one?
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #2 
Maryrox247

You don't necessarily NEED filter BUT I highly recommend that you use a sponge filter any brand will do as long as it is the appropriate size for a 10 gallon tank and hopefully is adjustable so you can make it create minimal current.
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #3 
The Game

Im fine with not having a filter, I'll willingly use do regular water changes but its just that I'm afraid that without water circulation, the heater will just create a 'hot spot'. Is this alright?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #4 
Maryrox247

Im not sure if the hot spot theory of yours would really happen but i wouold just get a ponge filter to be safe. Plus water changes are more likely to harm fry since they are so small even when you wait a few weeks.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #5 
The Game

Ok, sponge filter it is, I also read somebody's method of raising fry in the first few weeks (can't remember who or where) and he/she said that instead of doing water changes, they just started of with a lower water level and just kept adding more water. Is this a good method?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #6 
Maryrox247

Well, I have not tried that before but if you do that weekly (adding it GENTLY as you can!!!!!!!!) then it would probably be alright. And maybe after a month you can start doing water changes. (extremely carefully)
Old 08-31-2010, 12:32 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

You NEED a filter. Yes you NEED one. Ok anyway lemme explain...stagnant water=dust collection. dust collection= skum. Skum= dead fry.

Pluse nitrate levels will flare up and kill fry without one. I prefer a Mini Penplax corner filter using a gang valve to regulate flow.

You can make your own sponge filter by cutting a hole in a brand new kitchen sponge and inserting your airline tubing and regulating flow. In addition sponge filters permit more growth of infusoria...important food for small fry.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:17 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IMO You don't really need filters. But it is best to use air pumps set to a minimum (actually it depends on how wide/big the water surface is). Turn it on after the fry are free swimming. If you are going to use filters, perhaps sponge filters would be best.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

It really depends on the breeder. I always use a filter, even when I'm just introducing the pair.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote