Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #1 
sharkweek

Help!! my little Ray is sick!!!!!

Man- I am soo bummed! I came into work today and noticed he was just sitting on the bottom of the tank hardly moving. I also noticed his fins are clamped and look shredded ! this happened overnight because yesterday he looked totally different! His 2 gallon was heated and cycled. The only thing I can think that might have caused it is I picked up a female at petco for my sorority a couple days ago and she has been sitting in a larger cup in quarantine on my desk at work. Last night I put her cup next to his tank so he could get some “flaring exercise” and I did not take the cup away when I went home. Maybe he just got worn out from flaring all night? Maybe he was so upset that he tore his fins up? He already had fin rot from when I got him originally but now it looks 30% worse. I have put him in a 1 gallon clear container with a heater and 1 tsp of aquarium salt and I added water conditioner. I don’t have any test equipment but I am going to petco on my lunchbreak to get some. Does anyone recommend anything else to buy at petco to save my little guy? He is not floating on his side or anything- he does go up for air occasionally. I think I might overfeed him so I wont do that for a while. Also he kind of has a smooth lump on each side of his body near his back fin- I thought they looked like some fish muscles because he mostly uses his tail to move forward (he has mutant long pectoral fins that are not the best for forward movement). HELP!!!!!!!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75- 80
Does your tank have a filter? undergravel
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes through the undergravel filter
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Some good betta pellets I got from the LFS (not sure of the brand)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4-5 pellets a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner and salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins shredded clamped to his body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Sitting on the bottom of the tank all clamped up- occasionally going up for air
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Put him in a 1 gallon tank with 100% new water and a heater/ 1 tsp of salt and drop of water conditioner
Does your fish have any history of being ill? When I got him he had fin rot
How old is your fish (approximately)? I think young- I purchased him from petco a couple weeks ago
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #2 
sharkweek

here are some pics

Old 08-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #3 
sharkweek

here is a link to a video as wellhttp://gallery.me.com/oarthur#100071/Fish
Old 08-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #4 
Adastra

The problem is likely the fact that the tank isn't cycled--so once weekly 50% changes aren't removing the ammonia your fish is producing. You should do 100% changes every 3-4 days on a two gallon tank--during the water change, clean everything out with hot water to get out any waste, uneaten food, and residual ammonia. The 1 gallon container you put him in must be changed 100% every other day. With clean water he should perk up, a little methylene blue wouldn't hurt either since it's good for ammonia poisoning.

I would clean out the two gallon really well with hot water and put him back in there since it's safer to heat and he'll have more decorations in there to hide in and do 100% water changes and cleanings every 3 days. I would also ditch the UG filter--a tank this size would be hard to cycle and keep stable, and bettas are often stressed out by the current caused by them.

You mean dechlorinator when you say water conditioner, correct?
What kind of heater does he have, and do you monitor the temperature with a thermometer?

Last edited by Adastra; 08-19-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #5 
sharkweek

i actually just did a 75% water change on tuesday- I will do it more if i need to- I thought 100 percent water changes were only good for 1 gallon and less. I do mean de-chlorinator........... i am just stumped that he was in perfect health (seemingly) yesterday but he looks like he is dying today!! i am sooo sad right now- i will be even sadder if he dies. what should i get at petco to help!! bettafix?
Old 08-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #6 
Adastra

I don't recommend bettafix because it's a mixture of a lot of different things--some of which he does not need and will only wear on his system. He should be fine with clean water, but a little methylene blue might help if you can find it. Try to find one that is pure methylene blue without anything else in it.

100% changes are necessary in every tank that isn't cycled. If you change 50% one day and 50% the next day, that does not technically mean you've changed all the water. Inevitably, you still have some of the old water left over plus whatever waste the fish has added to the water between those changes. If you keep doing this, over time the ammonia steadily builds up. The only way to remove all the ammonia is to remove all of the water. As long as you match the temperatures and slowly acclimate the fish after each water change, stress should be minimal.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #7 
sharkweek

i well- hopefully he makes it- i like this little one so much and i would be so bummed if he died. he looks like he wont make it through the night
Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #8 
sharkweek

well- he is still alive today- still just sitting on the bottom of the tank. I think i should take him home this weekend from work so i can watch him - but i am worried the move might stress him totally out. his fins are just mush- i really don't understand how this could have happened overnight
Old 08-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #9 
luv2run21

I know this sounds stupid and you might not be able to oford it but take him to the vet if you really like that betta
luv2run21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #10 
sharkweek

well i am taking him home from work right now- i hope the one hour drive does not make things much worse..