Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2010, 05:19 AM   #1 
shmifty5

Sorority acting odd

So I moved my girls into a 10 gal and they loved it, they explored for almost 2 days, but now they have all clustered at one end of the tank, normally this kind of thing wouldn't bother me but they all want their own space on the same side (like kids fighting over the last peice of pizza when there is a second pizza...).

Baby my smallest betta is normally very fierce with her space and very defensive, but she has stopped that since Bessy (my largest) beat her up and took chunks out of her back (small bites taken out of her back), but Baby still remains on the one side with everyone else the only thing she does differently is she stays lower to the bottom while everyone else stays at the top (side-to-side).

So yeah, I need help with this, I can't have them all fighting over half of the tank while there is still another half open to them, I can't allow them to kill each other like this, I could understand if the tank was amller or if that side of the tank was 'ugly' but the tank is entirely the same for both sides, I'm very confounded right now.

for specs, the water is kept at 74 (I try to keep it warmer but my room is generally chilly for my Tiger Sal and the tank kind of suffers for it (the fish don't seem to mind), the tank is uncycled but I change the water weekly and suck up the gunk from the bottom with a turkey baster, they are fed pellets, frozen bloodworms, and freeze-dried daphnia every now and then (the fasting day is sunday), and they don't have a view of Dorian (my DT male), there is currently 5 girls living it (Bessy (largeest by far), Pepper (medium), Salt (medium), Rain/Rainbow (slightly larger than Salt & Pepper but still smaller than Bessy), and Baby (the smallest)).

Any help at all would be much appreciated, even if the suggestion is silly or weird.

Last edited by shmifty5; 08-24-2010 at 05:21 AM.
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:36 AM   #2 
The Game

I would have guessed something to do with the filter current but the fact that you suck out the gunk with a turkey baster means you dont have a filter? Am I right? If you do have a filter, then maybe it could be the current is stronger or weaker at that end. Anotehr guess I would have is maybe that side of the tankis more brightly lited up and is warmer? I don't know, just making wild guesses. Hope they help.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:44 AM   #3 
shmifty5

No filter, but I do have an under-tank heater on the side they hand out on while I have a glass heater on the end they don't like, the light is a ceramic light and it is placed in the centre of the tank, so heat is generally all the way through the tank and light is divided evenly between the 2 sides.

I will play around with heater placements and see if that does anything, thanks.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #4 
The Game

No problems, why don't you try putting the under-tank heater in the middle of the tank and the glass heater in the middle of the tank but at the top. Or maybe first try moving the under-tank heater to the side they don't like first to see if it really is the temperature that they like.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #5 
shmifty5

well I moved the glass heater to the middle, the light is on the side they dislike and the under-tank heater is basically glued to the bottom (stupid brother glued it to the tank with super-glue when the tank was his, I tried taking it off but it's stuck on there pretty darn good), so far only Bessy has reacted and she has gone to the other side (directly under the lamp) and Baby has kind of drifted all around the tank, the 3 medium girls are all still staying in the same area.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

You need to get the water temp up to at least 76F and 78-80F may be better for them, also, start making some 50% daily water changes, how many females in the 10g unfiltered tank, any live plants, if so what kind are they and how many.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #7 
shmifty5

I realize the temp needs to raise, but as previously stated I can only get the tank so warm before I have to take extra-measures (my room on average is 69-70F), there are 5 females (again, as previously stated) and I do weekly 80% water changes with daily removal of gunk/debris, no live plants.

Though to be honest I have seen some old bettas that don't have heated tanks (such as my buddies moms fish, which is at like 4 years now with no heating ever, given this is canda the tank must have gotten chilly during winter, so heat isn't a huge priority for me).
Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Every fish can have a different tolerance levels to water temp-you will know their tolerance by their behavior and the girls are either reacting to too low of water temp or high ammonia levels/poor water quality...or both....

In a unfiltered 10g tank with 5 female with the current feeding IMO/E water changes need to be increased to at least 50% twice-to-three times a week with one monthly 100%-to maintain water quality.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #9 
shmifty5

Actually the girls are spread out now, no more fighting for places, so it does look like the heat was the culprit.

I'll keep my eye out for temps/water quality to see if they start acting odd again.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:44 AM   #10 
The Game

Just a suggestion, perhaps you can get a small filter/pump to just circulate the water, so that the heated water goes all around. It doesnt have to be a huge machine or anything, something small enough but will generate enough current to create a bit of circulation.