Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #11 
LoveSGSE

Cool stories! Hope you guys are happy in life now.
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

I fish sat for a neighbor who really didn't really give a hoot about her betta. I tried to tell her how to properly take care of him and she wouldn't listen. She said he wasn't made of gold and he could easily be replaced and she wasn't going to fool with him. He came to my house one last time and he never went back to her house.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #13 
LoveSGSE

How could she? Anyway, what goes around comes around
Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

She can because she doesn't have a compassionate bone in her body!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #15 
noenyu

My betta Taco kind of just happened. He was my younger sisters at first. She wanted a chinchilla but my mom wanted to see if she could take care of something simple first so my sister picked out a fish. After about a year of caring for him she got tired/bored of him. She would forget to feed him and clean his tank, he was in a 1 gallon and would go 1 week+ without cleaning (She's 16 so she's old enough for the responsibility of taking care of a fish). He was starting to look bad and was probably going to die if I didn't take over and I couldn't let that happen.

I put his tank on my desk and watched him everyday. He wasn't eating and he would stay at the bottom of his tank for the most part. I looked up some symptoms and figured he had a bacteria infection. I was able to treat him, get him all better and he is now happy in his 5 gallon heated tank!

It's all kind of funny. Having fish when I was really young, maybe about 5-7ish, I always thought to myself that I would never get a fish again (they always died on me). But I think it's because I was young and didn't know how to care for them and my parents didn't either (and I'm sure, like a lot of people sadly, they probably thought "if it dies you can get another). After having him in my care and interacting with him I saw that he has a personality and he sees me and knows me. He knows what I do when I'm going to feed him and gets excited. He knows if he missed a pellet and my finger nail is over the water it that means there's a pellet there. It's so amazing! He even tracks me with his eyes sometimes when I'm walking around the room. I've actually fallen in love with Bettas!
noenyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:43 AM   #16 
bettalover2033

I got my first betta when i was nine years old and from there could not stop. My addiction grew bigger as i got older and researched and wanted to learn more and more:). My first betta was so cute and colorful but he died so quick because one day when i went to go and feed him, he jumped out of the water and landed on the floor. I cried that day because he was my first and i thought i would have him forever and i used to think they're colorfulness was a protector for their body lol. I was nine it was silly but yea just that little experience got me HOOKED!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:49 AM   #17 
shmifty5

Red face My story

My first few bettas (all males, all named Mr. Fish) were my first attempt at keeping pets, from there I have branched off into hermit crabs, salamanders, and lizards.

However my more recent fish were less to keep as pets and more to keep me alive, I was going through some rather bleak years where I hurt myself and basically shut myself off from my friends and family, I had no one to console and no one to care for. So I bought a new girl from a shop with kind of terrible conditions (dying fish used as ornaments and decorations, tiny bowls for all bettas, the norm I suppose) and I felt like I had saved her, like I had finally found someone to protect and care for. Soon after purchasing Bessy I stopped cutting myself and I started to go to parties and talk with my parents, and I also got more, I currently have 5 girls in a 10 gal and a DT male in a 5 gal, and they all provide me a little glimer of hope, a brighter tomorrow where beautiful things happen.

My girls have saved me and even though I still relapse sometimes and cut or shy away I always have them, they never judge me for my 'tastes' and they don't mock me, they really do support me when all else seems lost, without my girls I would probably have killed myself.

On a brighter note I do see a therpist nowadays and I keep better care of myself, I have more responsibilities these days and my girls are all doing marvelous (some of them are getting fat tbh).
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:50 AM   #18 
Josiee

^

I was looking for a hug smiley but couldn't find one!

As for me, well, I haven't had a pet of my own since I gave up the guinea pigs several years ago (I used to breed and show them) and then I got a horse on loan who took up most of my time for about a year and a half (miss her all the time, just couldn't afford her any more) and I really fancied getting a fish. So I read all the things about bettas living in tiny tanks etc and went out and got myself a 1gallon plastic 'kritter keeper' type thing (only they aren't called that here in England) then I realised that I would definitely need a heater etc, so bought that, then all of a sudden it was the week before my birthday and I decided to get a 5gallon tank instead of keeping my future fish and that tiny container! I got a 20l Arcadia Ark tank which came with a a filter and a light, and my heater was fine for it too I got my little fish soon after - a blue and red CT I called Casper. Unfortunately, a couple of days later, he died. I took a sample of my water into my LFS and they said it was really high in nitrite and that's what killed him. I'm not sure what caused it, but I no longer spray deoderant or perfume or anything in my room and I do it in the bathroom instead. It's been a few weeks since that and I haven't got a new fish yet, but I think I will get one on Friday.

That was longgg!
Josiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #19 
LoveSGSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmifty5 View Post
My first few bettas (all males, all named Mr. Fish) were my first attempt at keeping pets, from there I have branched off into hermit crabs, salamanders, and lizards.

However my more recent fish were less to keep as pets and more to keep me alive, I was going through some rather bleak years where I hurt myself and basically shut myself off from my friends and family, I had no one to console and no one to care for. So I bought a new girl from a shop with kind of terrible conditions (dying fish used as ornaments and decorations, tiny bowls for all bettas, the norm I suppose) and I felt like I had saved her, like I had finally found someone to protect and care for. Soon after purchasing Bessy I stopped cutting myself and I started to go to parties and talk with my parents, and I also got more, I currently have 5 girls in a 10 gal and a DT male in a 5 gal, and they all provide me a little glimer of hope, a brighter tomorrow where beautiful things happen.

My girls have saved me and even though I still relapse sometimes and cut or shy away I always have them, they never judge me for my 'tastes' and they don't mock me, they really do support me when all else seems lost, without my girls I would probably have killed myself.

On a brighter note I do see a therpist nowadays and I keep better care of myself, I have more responsibilities these days and my girls are all doing marvelous (some of them are getting fat tbh).
Wow. Thats a very touching story! Stay happy! Keep it coming!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:09 PM   #20 
pettygil

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSGSE View Post
So my question is, why do you keep bettas? And what attracted you to this wonderful species of fish? What do you keep them as? For me, I keep bettas cause I was pretty bored most of the time at home and had no company, so I decided to get a few fish to occupy my time. And my friend also introduced me this " betta splendens ". I went to his house and checked his bettas out. And they were simply stunning. I keep them mostly for breeding, as I find its very interesting. But dont worry, I've researched quite alot, just that i need experience. Share your story!
I have 2 Betta fish, one in a 10 gallon, and another Betta in a 5 gallon, they are both blue. I love their fins, so silky and beautiful and Betta's are fun to watch, sometimes Charlie likes to swim crazy. He is funny. He lets me pet him to. Charlie did a black flip once. ..He is more calm now. Charlie likes to look at himself in the aquarium, he has Betta Ego problems. Then his fin sticks up in the air like a shark. I wanted an Angel fish but I do not have the proper tank size. So I went with a Betta fish. And not too hard to take care of, like salt water fish. I could also get the tank size I needed for my Betta's. I to saved my Betta Charlie from the dreaded Wal-mart cup and placed him in a 5 gallon tank. It felt good to do that. I to am alone and my fish keep me company, along with my crazy hamsters. They crazy I tell you. But I love them all. I like when my hamster eats holes through the toilet paper roll and when he crawls out backwards from his tube, upside down. LMAO. All my animals are funny. When I need to laugh my animals are there for me, always. My hamster Furby likes to stand on his toilet paper, roll, then he slips off it. He tries to walk on his toes. He is called circus Hamster for a reason. LOL

Last edited by pettygil; 08-24-2010 at 11:20 PM.
pettygil is offline   Reply With Quote