Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #1 
Bloodeath

Lightbulb My tank setup(s) - tips?

me and my girlfriend are getting heavily addicted to our fishy pals, and we just want maybe some constructive criticism, helpful hints, ideas, tips, whatever. it would be highly appreciated....anyhow heres some pictures followed by brief discriptions.

The image below is a picture of our 2 5gallon tanks side by side. on the left tank there is an above ground filter, about a half inch of black/blue rocks, 3 ornaments which include: A log with 3 different entry ways in it, a rubbery ornament which name escapes me (Behind the sign in the picture), and a sign that reads "Fish need love too". Inside this tank, is a blue VT Male betta (blue) And 2 cory cats, with a few snails.

On the right tank (recently redone and full of placeholders so it looks kinda crappy at the moment) But, there is 2 CT male betta in here, divided by a 10g tank divider (Yes this is a 5gallon tank its in, thats why you see the horrendous black line, its eastman pipe wrap tape, keeping the divider in place because i didnt want to cut it, incase i wanted to use it again in my 10g spawning tank.) I know what your thinking, tape+Fish= seems bad. i know, but ive had them with this tape before and it hasnt affected them yet, atleast that ive noticed and its been a couple months now.
But ones blue and ones red in the tank.
On both sides of this 5g tank, there is an underground filter and a pot full of live plants, to allow both CT's to be able to hide when they want, to avoid tiring them out since they live in the same tank.

(Might i mention that almost all of my tanks have live plants, if you see a realistic plant, its live)

The next picture, is a closeup of the tank with the VT, and cory cats in it.

the next picture is of the Other 5gallon closeup, with the 2 CT males in it. (and my crappily done divider.)

Now the picture below, is a picture of our spawning tank. which has inside of it, tons of live plants, an above ground filter, a giant log with 8 or so entryways, a heater, backdrop, has a styrofoam area for spawning, an akward shaped cave i guess you would call it, and a sign that reads "Help me!!" Unfortunately theres also snails in this tank (i know i didnt think that through.) I've been told that snails probably wont eat the live eggs in the spawning tank, but when a snail nears his nest, i freak out, i really do. since me and my girlfriend are literally in the middle of spawning them for our first time, we're really finicky and want to see success. Anyways, heres the picture: (Yes hes tending to his nest, there ARE eggs in it in this picture.) CT Male, incase i didnt mention.

Im actually kind of worried about his nest, heres a closeup of it, his small nest frightens me, but what can you do but watch nature take its course, right? Heh. (There ARE eggs in the nest in the picture this is AFTER he and the our CT female mated.)

Anyways, The next picture is of our little girl Shes a CT female, currently sitting next to the 5g VT tank, in a fish bowl with heater/filter (Dont hate me for it) and shes by herself, because when i put our 2 CT females together, they were flaring at each other, and the other was fin nipping this girl, so i thought maybe i should just keep them apart from each other as well. anyways, at the bottom of her tank, (You cant see) is a 7$ ornament ibought for her. its similiar to the rubber one in the 5g tank with the VT, except more like a bedding area. The majority of her tank is painted on the outside, to give her some privacy to the male tank next to her.

The next picture is of the female we just mated, in her own vase after mating with the one in the 10g. (Please note the cans in the picture were there because of my routine room cleanup. cause all of these fish surround my bed, lol.) She has no ornaments at the moment, which i know is sad, but its only temporary. trust me, between me and my girlfriend pampering these fish, their more than ok.

Lastly there is this little guy in his 1-1.5g tank, it has a bubble filter, an ornament, and 2 lilly bulbs in it. and in the picture you cant really see his tank, but you can see that hes one heck of a bubblenester. lol

But in a nutshell, those are mine and my girlfriends fishy homes, any constructive critisim, tips, advice, anything would be stupendous, and greatly appreciated.
Bloodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #2 
cmndrJOE

I would only fill your spawning tank about half way, and ditch the gravel and stuff in there. Reason being, the eggs fall out of the nest, and if your boy has to constantly swim from the bottom to the top of the tank to retrieve the egg, he'll get exhausted. Also, ditch the gravel because he has to find the eggs as they fall, a clear bottom will help him find those eggs easily without stressing him out too much.
cmndrJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #3 
Bloodeath

Its funny that you mention that, its like the fish thought about this himself, and his nest is convientally over the log with like 8 holes in it, so when the eggs do fall, they land on it, and not the gravel (Not 100% of the time but about 80% of the time) i feel as though its kinda too late to do that, but ill definately make sure to do that next time, i actually realized the gravel was a mistake once they were mating and the eggs were dropping, and i realized that the water should of been lowered to late as well...

But hey its our first spawning experience, so trial and error right? lol.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #4 
cmndrJOE

Haha yeah. I didn't mean do it now, next spawn tho, for sure.... altho I still think it wouldn't hurt to lower the water now. Use a smaller diameter length of airline tubing, start a siphon and drain the water into a bucket or out the window (like I do). It should be gentle enough that it won't disturb the bubblenest at all.

All in all, I think your tanks are neat. I like the way you're setup, and your fish are very pretty.
cmndrJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #5 
marhlfld

I love it! You're doing something right, heck, you got spawning going on! Not like me, I killed my first Betta in a matter of 6 days. Long story, but I'm on the right path now, properly cycling my tank, etc... Good job there Bloodeath and girlfriend!
marhlfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #6 
Bloodeath

Quote:
I love it! You're doing something right, heck, you got spawning going on! Not like me, I killed my first Betta in a matter of 6 days. Long story, but I'm on the right path now, properly cycling my tank, etc... Good job there Bloodeath and girlfriend!
thanks :D and yea the babies started hatching earlier today :D we're reall excited

Ontopic:

i got a new 10gallon for my 'sorority tank' I'll have pic's up tommorow :D
It has 2 Female CT's and 2 Cory cats in it at the moment...

(We moved the cory cats out of the 5gallon with the VT because we're mating him next :D)
Old 08-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #7 
marhlfld

Keep us posted!
marhlfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #8 
Bloodeath

a nice Video showing all of our betta (since we couldnt get photos. and it shows sorority tank.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O52143GnCzE
Old 08-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #9 
betta99

! in the first picture of the spawning tank i have the exact same log :)

nice tanks btw
betta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #10 
Bloodeath

Quote:
! in the first picture of the spawning tank i have the exact same log :)
yea? hehe. we had to clip the fake plants and replace em with real ones, didnt like the fake ones in the water, seemed kinda pointless ya know?