Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #1 
Williamg

Lighting Questions

So I'll admit I am completely new to keeping aquariums in general and Bettas specifically. So here is my question, I have a 1.5 or 2 gallon ( I can't remember which) tank that my Betta is currently living in. I would like to add some plants to give him some places to hid and I like plants. I bought some Aponogeton bulbs you can find at pet stores, as well as a small desk lamp and a 100 watt equivalent Compact Florescent bulb to put in the lamp. I plan of putting the lamp over the tank to replace the purposeless tiny LED that can't light up anything. Is that going to be enough light? I grow carnivorous plants so I have a fair amount of experience with terrestrial plants and growing them, but none with aquatic species. Any help would be appreciated,
Williamg
P.S. I think I put this in the right section, but if I didn't I'm sorry.

Last edited by Williamg; 08-22-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Williamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #2 
Bloodeath

a lilly bulb? My mom has the exact same setup as you (or so it sounds) and she has 2 lilly bulbs in a 1.5-2.0gallon with a led piece of crap mini light on top of it. and they grow, but their discolored.

at worst the plants will get a little discolored, and actually grow quicker, because they stretch towards the light cause theres not enough of it (The plants try to get closer to it i guess you could say)
Bloodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #3 
Williamg

Last time I tried just using the light on top, the plant died, rotted is a better term, and fouled up the tank and filter big time. And yes, the plant would try to get bigger to gain more light from photosysneseis, but would more than likely die in the long run, at least from what I've seen with my plants at home. So is a 26 watt, 100 watt equivalent, CFB ok? It is daylight spectrum, 5000ishK. Would it give off too much light or not enough?
Williamg

Last edited by Williamg; 08-22-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #4 
Bloodeath

Honestly, i'm no lighting expert. but in all honesty, what i would do to check and see if its ENOUGH light is to, turn on your lights for the aquarium, and then shut off all lights around you, if you can see the entire tank 100% Fine and its completely illuminated it should be fine.

versus if it puts off too much light, or heat, just go buy a 2$ stick on temp guage, and you'll be able to tell if its too much and cooking your fishy/plant
Old 08-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #5 
Williamg

Ok, I will have to try that, Thanks Bloodeath. I already have a thermometer on the tank to make sure the heater doesn't bake my fish. I guess the spectrum should be ok; I'm just worried about the light blind or causing eye damage to my Betta too.
Williamg

edit: Just tested Bloodeath's idea and it lights up the tank and much of the surrounding area too.

Last edited by Williamg; 08-22-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Tested the light idea
Old 08-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #6 
Bloodeath

Nah i wouldnt be as concerned with eye damage, because i imagine their like humans, they look into the light one time, and then realize its not smart to do that. especially since bettas dont blink.
but yea, just hawkeye the temp. if it stays around 76-82 your good.

my general rule of thumb is,

if at ANY point in time, your tank ever exceeds 82 degrees, you need to adjust your heater and consider a less powerful light.

see i keep my bettas on a 12/12 schedule (12 hours day 12 hours night) and i had to play around with all sorts of different lights till i found some Made specifically for aquatic plants. (meaning their not as bright.) and they work just fine, my tanks are at a constant 80degrees.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

For low to mod light aquatic plants you want 1.5-2.5wpg and 6500-6700k...I think your light is way too high in watts per gallon and kelvin is too low..... you may end up with an algae farm and green water.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #8 
Williamg

Ok, so aquarium plants do not like bright light? I googled the speices but couldn't find very much information on growing them. What do you recommend doing? And the Kelvin is 6500, I just realized my mistype, Opps. The bulbs are not in the tank yet as I am waiting for the last of my Betta's fin rot to go away. Could I put a filter on the light to lower the brightness? Or is there a bulb that people would recommend? Thanks in advance, and sorry for all the questions,
Williamg

Last edited by Williamg; 08-22-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Its not that they don't like bright light-its more that the algae does too and will grow faster than one plant, however, with more light you need CO2 so the plant can use the light before the algae. Aquatic plants are a lot different to grow than non-aquatic that get CO2 from the atmosphere...

With your 100w bulb maybe if you added some floating plants and had it 3-4 feet above the tank???? not sure about that...the person you need to ask is Byron..you should PM him and ask.
Also, a good sticky on planted tanks and lights he wrote that is on the sister forum tropicalfishkeeping.com
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote