Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #1 
cjayBetta

LEAVING FOR MY LPS IN 2 1/2 HOURS! HELP. (plants)

Hey guys.

My husband and I want to get a plant for our 5g. What are some that are Hardy and require little maintenance?

How easy are swords?
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #2 
JackisLost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayBetta View Post
Hey guys.

My husband and I want to get a plant for our 5g. What are some that are Hardy and require little maintenance?

How easy are swords?
If you are going to petco, stay away from "semi-aquatic" labeled plants. In general the anubias species of plants are hardy and requires low light as well as moss and java fern. Java ferns, in my experience, grows really tall. Floating plants like duckweed are easy to care for, but if you have a slime layer on top of the water, things can get messy
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #3 
JackisLost

I forgot to mention, if you have a small tank and do 100% water changes, anubias nana looks really nice on a small peice of driftwood, you can tie the anubias roots to the driftwood and in 3 or so weeks it will attach itself. Cleaning will be easy because you can lift the driftwood/anubias out and rinse the leaf under the sink because the plant is hardy.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

I love my anubias plants. Some other low maintenance plants are anacharis, wisteria, marimo moss balls and java fern.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #5 
Cassandra90

Moneywort is great! I have 3 in my 55 gallon tank. I am new to plants too. And my moneywort just keeps growing. Also mine get little yellow flowers on it. The plants have lived over a year.

Another good plant for beginers is Java Fern. I have 2 in my tank and they are doing great too.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #6 
Slayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
I love my anubias plants. Some other low maintenance plants are anacharis,
I don't know if I would call anacharis low maintenance until I got the correct lighting all the anacharis in my tank would die and the leaves would go all over the tank
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #7 
cjayBetta

Just got back, thanks for the replys. They had nothing I liked so I will try back in a bit.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #8 
Arowan

Just about anything labeled with "sword," be it Argentine or Amazon works well for beginners, too. I've gotten both from the tubes at pet stores, and they have thrived.

Anubias are another easy one, so is Hygrophilia compacta, usually just labeled as "compacta."

Dwarf Lily's are fun, too, if you want to try those bulbs out.
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #9 
cjayBetta

Gunna try in 2 weeks when they get a new shipment of betta's (getting another) and see what else they have :)
Old 03-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #10 
ChelseaK

I highly recommend the dwarf lilies! I absolutely love mine and I have at least 8 plants growing out of the 4 bulbs that I bought. They are fine with both low and high light, the only difference is their color, under low light they are green but under higher lights they become more and more pink. Your bettas will love them too :)
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote