Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #1 
Mimmi

[PICTURES INCLUDED] Male Crowntail not feeling so hot. :(

So my male CT, Koi, is a very beautiful and sleek little guy. Heís tiny, nowhere near big as my females, but anyway. After I bought him, I had him in 2.5 gallon large bowl, no filter or heater. And he just loved it. My water parameters were excellent since I used the tank water from my 20 gallon to fill up his bowl. I also had a moss ball in there with them, some gravel and a fake tall silk plant which had leaves that nearly touched the surface, on which Koi would lay on occasionally. Also, I had plenty of green algae growth, but he didnít seem to mind it. Anyway, all in all, he was very active and seemingly very happy. He always made bubble nests and would swim around excitedly whenever I came into the room.

Recently, there was an ant infestation in the room next to mine and a few ants crawled into my room, and into his bowl. Koi.. ate every single one. Either ate them or mauled them. I hadnít realized that he was eating ants until I cleaned out his bowl and noticed many little ant bodies in the gravel. But Iím pretty sure he ate them because a few days laterÖ he started getting veryÖ lethargic.

Koi only hung around at the bottom and came up only for air and food. He always just kind of shoved his head in between the gravel and stayed there like that, it was strange. It reminded me of how ostriches supposively shove their heads underground when they are scared. Anyway, after talking to the LPS, they recommended Coppersafe for internal parasites; they suspected the ants gave him parasites.

Koi perked up after the first day, and actually swam around a bit, and then just started this new thing of floating at top. And.. very.. strangely. Itís almost as if heís tipping over but he flares out his side fins to prevent him from doing so. And he just sits there, on top of the water. I took out his gravel and plants, and cleared out the algae, anything that might have been stressing him out.

I stopped giving him Coppersafe and just sprinkled some aquarium salt and kept his bowl ontop of my desktop hard-drive (to keep it warm during the nights). Iím not exactly sure whatís wrong. He still eats, and he tries to swim towards the food with gusto, but his swimming is very sporadic. He swims in short bursts of speed and very frantically. He doesnít flare out his fins or anything. Just look at the pictures and help please :(

Btw, I called the LPS about this and they recommended Tetracycline. What do you guys think?

Photos:

Before --

After --

In the last picture, you can see how he sticks out his side fins to stay upright. :(
Mimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #2 
Bettas are Betta

poor guy!!! When my Wasabi had ich he would just lie there near the surface and tip over a little and when i would talk to him he would stare at me slowly tipping to 1 side. :(
Bettas are Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #3 
Mimmi

Awww :(
I don't think Koi has Ick though. I don't know if I should use Tetracycline or continue using Coppersafe… I'm not really sure what he needs x_x

I was hoping someone from this community could help me with Koi. He's still eating, so I know he can still make it. I just need to help him make it, though I'm not sure what to doooooo.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #4 
Bettas are Betta

what temp is his water?
Bettas are Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #5 
marhlfld

Sounds like he's bloated. Stop feeding him for a day or two. He made a pig of himself with the ants. Live food. Also, look at him from the top and see if his scales are sticking out. That's called Pineconing. He's maybe got Swim Bladder diease from overeating. Stop feeding for 24 to 48 hours. He'll be fine without food. They can live for weeks without.
marhlfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #6 
Mimmi

His water temperature is at 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
And okay, I'll try fasting him then. Should I do it with the Aquarium Salt in his bowl? Or take out everything and just keep it clean?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #7 
Dead Sunlight

Aww, poor guy...

There is the possibility of the ants transmiting parasites to him. Check for any pine coning or severe boating. This is dropesy and is an uncurable disease with pineconing u may have to put him down...

Koi sounds bloated. I would fast him for 2-3 days a week feeding 1-2 pellets a day. if u choose for snack u may feed microworms sparingly . ur on the right track, keep up with the daily water changes and continue with the medication and AS. Hopefully he'll feel better in a week or so.

DS
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #8 
Mimmi

His scales are just fine, there's no pine-coning effect so I doubt he has dropsy. As for medicine, should I start giving him Coppersafe again for the parasites or give him T.C. Tetracycline as my LPS recommended? And yeah, I'm definitely fasting him now.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #9 
vaygirl

When you say sprinkle, do you mean you drop whole salt grains in there? If so, start dissolving the salt in his water when you do water changes. Whole salt particles can burn him.

Tetracycline is an antibiotic for bacterial infections, so if you think it's parasites then I'd go with coppersafe.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #10 
marhlfld

Here's a fairly good article on many problems that may arise with our fish and recommended meds to help with them: http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...?articleid=719
marhlfld is offline   Reply With Quote