Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #1 
Ivanrad

Question Noob Here <---

So basically i am a n00b at this new hobby ive started to develop.. basically i went to my local pet store not petco... and bought a beta fish.
After buying the bowl, then conditioner, then food. I really started to enjoy my betta fish and now its my hobby. My sister got jealous and started to cry so i decided to surprise her.. i bought her a fat 2gallon tank and a beautiful rainbow betta (not really rainbow.. but close)
She was so happy...
Now my Betta is in a 1Gal tank with rainbow rocks at the bottom and a fake plant in the middle... so far ive been feeding it hikari food 3 pellets a day and i just love these fish. Ive changed its water once which i took the fish out with a plastic cup that i carefully washed (not with soap) and i changed the fishes water completely.. made sure the conditioner sat and my fish is as happy as can be making bubbles etc..

My real question now is i really want to invest a lot of money to make this fish last cause its absolutely the most colorful and cool pet ive ever had..

What is the best amount of gallons to maximize the Betta fishes life span? ( not 60 gallons but im thinking more 10 gallons)

Filter? ( if so what brand and type?)

Rocks? ( normal ? or more softer?)

Food? ( is there a better food than hikari? )

Heater? ( Ive read that betta fish are tropical and require a heater? , What temp and what brand )

Accessories? ( i hear that a giant rock or castle can make the betta fishes environment more fun ?)

What else should i know i want to baby the crap out of this fish and my sister wants to make a beautiful scenery along with maximizing the fishes environment.

I dont want to spend thousands but im willing to spend about 200$ on everything.

If anyone can text i would love to have a conversation about the best care i can give to this fish!

I am also interested in breeding !

Last edited by dramaqueen; 08-22-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Ivanrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #2 
Ivanrad

?a anyone
Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope I can at least answer SOME of your questions. lol I would recommend a 2 gallon minimum sized tank. Really, bigger is better. Very small tanks need to be cleaned 2-3 times a week.
I really don't know much about filters. I have a Tetra Whisper in a 2.5 gallon critter keeper.
I use glass rocks in my tanks.
Wardleys,Aqueon pellets and Omega 3 betta buffet flakes are three foods that come to mind right now. You can also feed freeze dried or frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms or daphnia. Freeze dried foods need to be rehydrated before feeding to prevent digestive problems.
Decotations are fine as long as they don't have any sharp edges that they can tear their fins on.
Heaters- I recommend Marineland but there are several out there that other people can recommend.
I hope this helps.

As far as breeding goes, research is very important before attempting breeding so you'll know what all is involved.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 08-22-2010 at 10:39 PM.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #4 
Ivanrad

Do you know whats the best website that offers a kit?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #5 
prettylittlefishy

I swear by the Aqueon Quietflow Aquarium Power Filter, the smallest one. I also LOVE the Hydor THEO Heater.

http://www.petstore.com/Aqueon_Quiet...AQFIPO-vi.html

http://www.petstore.com/Hydor_THEO_H...AQHESU-vi.html

My favourite gravel is Top Fin, they have a lot of colors! I buy bags of my favourite colours, and mix them. Currently I have a bright blue, lime green and hot pink gravel mix with marbles added in.

For decor, run a pair of panty hose over them, and if it catches it can rip their fins.

Also, the filter you might need to baffle. But I use mine in 5g and 10g and there ok.

Some plants are good too, whether fake or live.

If fake, use silk plants, which aren't as hard. I use silk plants and java moss (live plant).

I use a lot of critter keepers, and there is also a kritter keeper light, so it works out great!

Best betta food EVER imo is this.

http://www.petstore.com/Ocean_Nutrit...AQFOFP-vi.html

Hope I helped! :)
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #6 
Ivanrad

sounds good thanks.. does it matter the wattage of the heater?
Also what about the intensity of light
Old 08-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #7 
CjRager89

My answers, I'm sure you will get many different brands, but as far as basic essentails, they will probably be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanrad View Post
1. What is the best amount of gallons to maximize the Betta fishes life span? ( not 60 gallons but im thinking more 10 gallons)
Most people recomend at least 2 gallons or so. I have mine in a 10 gal and that is absolutely tons of space for one fish, some people actually split 10 gallons into several spaces and house several fish.

2. Filter? ( if so what brand and type?)
I would recomend having one, it makes it alot easier, and you will have to do less water changes. I would recomend a Tetra Whisper Power Filter as they are adjustable and you can cut down the flow. I also have a Aquaclear Power Filter, it works great, but its not adjustable at all so this has to be baffled.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

3. Rocks? ( normal ? or more softer?)
Regular aquarium gravel is just fine. There are tons out there, from hot pink, to stuff that looks more natural. Others put sand at the bottom. This looks amazing, and is very easy on the fish. The only down side I have noticed to this is you see EVERYTHING. All the food they dont eat, poop, etc. Nothing sinks down under the gravel, which can make it easy to clean, or frustraing if you just cleaned it and then you have fish poo at the bottom...

4. Food? ( is there a better food than hikari? )
I feed my boy a mix between Omega One freeze dried blood worms, and a few Tetra tropical flakes every now and then.

5. Heater? ( Ive read that betta fish are tropical and require a heater? , What temp and what brand )
Deffinatley. If you plan on keeping your fish happy, get an appropiate sized heater for his tank. I personally love the Hydor Theos. Whatever you get make sure it keeps the temp around 80F

6. Accessories? ( i hear that a giant rock or castle can make the betta fishes environment more fun ?)
Your fish will thank you for giving him some sort of cover. If you choose to go the more natural route. (giant rocks, wood, plants etc.) or not so much...(castles and the like) either way, if you plan on keeping him happy, get him some stuff to hide and explore in.

7. What else should i know i want to baby the crap out of this fish and my sister wants to make a beautiful scenery along with maximizing the fishes environment.
A general FAQ, on the site might help??
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058
As for the scenery...that all depends on what she thinks is beautiful

8. I am also interested in breeding !
I'm probably gonna sound like a total jerk (WHICH I TRY NOT TO BE!!! I REALLY DO LOL) but if you are a "ToTal n00B"....don't. I personally have not done it, but there is a lot of stuff involved. It sometimes gets to be a bit of a hot topic, with people breeding without a real reason to.
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #8 
naturegirl243

welcome to the forum! You sound like how I was when I took an interest in bettas. Lets see if I can answer some of youre questions lol. Ok so filters for smaller tanks I really love my marina filter its for 2-5 gallons it is perfect for my 5 gallon.sorry I cant do links I am limited to my phone for internet. But I got mine at petsmart I know petco does not carry them.I forget how much mine were but I think it was 12 bucks. Rocks I suggest gravel but if you get marbles make sure you get ones that are made for fish I cheaped out on marbles and the paint came off and they started breaking and leaving sharp pieces behind that could hurt your betta. I have heard of people doing sand but I dont know anything about it. Food I dont know much about food I feed Wardly brand betta pellets hikari is good stuff I have heard I have some but I havent opened it yet I will use it soon though. Remember not to overfeed only 3-4 pellets a day. Heater I like my topfin I also have my petco brand heater that me and my fish mizu really likes both brands were about 20 bucks I think the petco one was 23. dramaqueen covered decorations. As for breeding you need alot of room,dedication,time,and patiance also reasearch like crazy and know you can get up to 300 fry. Good luck with your betta hope I helped. Wow that was long lol sorry. Let me know if you need any help with anything else.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #9 
naturegirl243

Ha I took so long that I repeated probably what everhone else said typing on my touch screen phone takes to long. As for wattage I have a 25 watt for my 5 gallon and I needed a heater asap for my 2.5 gallon tank and got a 50 watt it is on low and is perfect just heats it faster.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #10 
UrsMyrick

There's a sticky on betta care on this website that I found really helpful.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...are-faq-20058/
UrsMyrick is offline   Reply With Quote