Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #1 
MrVampire181

Breeding Petstore Bettas

I know breeding petstore bettas isn't a super great idea but they're easier to breed (in my opinion).I've bred (and attempted) to breed pure breds, they're more difficult but worth it (by A LOT!!!) so keep that in mind.

But petstore bettas are great practice for new or rusty (like me) breeders. Here's a quote from: http://www.freewebs.com/bettaguruak/aboutbreeding.htm and I agree with it.

"There is nothing wrong with breeding petstore Bettas, as long as you're not dead set on a specific outcome, believe me, you will be disappointed. But just for the experience alone, it is worth the trouble provided certain ideas are kept in mind. The pair, (both male and female), must be healthy........because if they are not, the whole point is moot. Also keep in mind that as a breeder, you have a responsibility to ensure that EVERY ONE of your fish has a good home to go to with people who are concerned about taking care of Bettas the right way. Usually when one of my fish is adopted, I hand out a two page flyer outlining all of the right things to do for caring for the fish, along with a business card of my own should they ever need to contact me, and another business card with great Betta links on the web of breeders whom I personally trust. You are responsible for each and every life you bring into this world, should fish be any different? No. "

Last edited by MrVampire181; 08-22-2010 at 08:13 PM.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Frankly.. I'm tired of arguing this over and over again. I think the members of this board are at an impasse on this particular discussion.

Any-who... here is my take on it.

What is the point in breeding for experience? Why must we "experience" breeding fish? There are so many fish dieing in pet stores every single day and others who are being carted off destined to live out the rest of their short, miserable lives in an unsuitable living environment due to lack of education on the owner's part, why would anyone add to that?

If your (generally speaking) breeding for the sake of producing a line of something or improving on something then more power to you.. but what is the point in breeding for "practice" or for the "experience" of it? The only thing that can come out of that is more fish that need homes in a world already filled with homeless fish.

Yes you can argue that if this is the case then no one should be breeding... but let's face it... How many fish bred from quality lines and sold directly from breeder to owner end up in a tiny tank with little to no care? If you can't find homes for your fish and have to resort to selling them to pet stores or on craigslist then there is something very wrong. Granted there are some pet shops that may take excellent care of their fish and promote quality care to their customers... but how many shops like that actually exist?

I could list a million and one reasons not to pick pet store stock but as long as you know and are prepared for the consequences (whether they be good or bad) of choosing stock from a pet store, well then I find no reason to argue about it.

I guess what I'm trying to say in this long winded post is, in my humble and honest opinion, as long as you are breeding for the right reasons (and yes, I do believe there are "right' and "wrong" reasons to breed) where you get your stock is not quite as important as what you will do with that stock.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I can see both sides of this debate. I think we should just agree to disagree. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Frankly.. I'm tired of arguing this over and over again. I think the members of this board are at an impasse on this particular discussion.

Any-who... here is my take on it.

What is the point in breeding for experience? Why must we "experience" breeding fish? There are so many fish dieing in pet stores every single day and others who are being carted off destined to live out the rest of their short, miserable lives in an unsuitable living environment due to lack of education on the owner's part, why would anyone add to that?

If your (generally speaking) breeding for the sake of producing a line of something or improving on something then more power to you.. but what is the point in breeding for "practice" or for the "experience" of it? The only thing that can come out of that is more fish that need homes in a world already filled with homeless fish.

Yes you can argue that if this is the case then no one should be breeding... but let's face it... How many fish bred from quality lines and sold directly from breeder to owner end up in a tiny tank with little to no care? If you can't find homes for your fish and have to resort to selling them to pet stores or on craigslist then there is something very wrong. Granted there are some pet shops that may take excellent care of their fish and promote quality care to their customers... but how many shops like that actually exist?

I could list a million and one reasons not to pick pet store stock but as long as you know and are prepared for the consequences (whether they be good or bad) of choosing stock from a pet store, well then I find no reason to argue about it.

I guess what I'm trying to say in this long winded post is, in my humble and honest opinion, as long as you are breeding for the right reasons (and yes, I do believe there are "right' and "wrong" reasons to breed) where you get your stock is not quite as important as what you will do with that stock.
I agree with you here. Which is why if I give any fry from petstores away or sell them they'll be to people I know will take care of them.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote