Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #1 
Drift

Exclamation Little white worms in tank

I would take a picture, but my camera doesn't even want to focus on my fish never mind this little creature.

They're in my 10 gallon divided, filtered, heated, planted tank. They're about 1/2 a milimeter to a milimeter big. Little teeny tiny worms crawling on the side the glass. I just watched my CT, Durban, nom two of them. He went down and hunted them and slurped them off the wall. -_-

Are these ok? Anyone have this problem before? Are they parasites? Did they come from the plants? Should I tear my whole tank apart and scrub everything (ugh)? What should I do.

I also found a lime green worm about 1/2 inch. I thought he fell in there somehow and tossed him outside. =/ Of course the awesome million mystery snails (we call them Jesus snails) came with the plants.

Edit:
After googling for a quicker answer. I think they might be Planaria, which everyone says is harmless but linked to uneaten food.
There goes no uneaten food in my betta tank. I make sure they eat everything and usually watch them afterwords to see if any spitting out occurs. It never does, the little piggies would never let it go to waste.

Anyone have a case of this before?

Last edited by Drift; 08-23-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #2 
FuulieQ

I have some planaria that occasionally crop up in my tank when I have someone else feed my fish while I'm gone (somehow, they always overfeed them and I get a planaria "bloom" 9_9).

Actually, I just saw one earlier today when I got back to check on my fish. They'd be kinda cute if they weren't... pests. And kinda icky looking.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #3 
Drift

My boyfriend and I feed the fish. Neither of us overfeed them. However my hornwort does what it does best and drops needles everywhere. I was going to do a good vacuuming tomorrow and get it all up when I saw these little suckers everywhere.

I also noticed. A small white specks, two or three zooming around very fast. They're also all over my one piece of driftwood for some reason. I think I'll remove it temporarily.

Ugh, and I thought everything was going well for me for once. -_-
Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #4 
betta99

i dont think they'll be harmful to your betta, unless you're worried about overfeeding them. i'd probably try to remove as many as i can and stop the infestation to avoid future problems.
betta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #5 
FuulieQ

I know what you mean. :l
Yeah, I think the hornwort needles might cause that as well. Not sure though. At least they can't hurt your fish, right?

Not sure about the specks. I don't have any driftwood, so perhaps that's where you got them from? Or they would just be small planaria.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #6 
Drift

I've had the driftwood for a while. I've introduced nothing new. I vacuum my gravel weekly. It's a steady 80 degrees. I have Hornwort, Anubias, Java fern & moss, and Willow leaf Hygrophilia.
They shouldn't cause any harm, and are actually environmental enrichment with Durban stalking them and nomming as many as possible.
They're mostly annoying and make me want to go in and smash all of them.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Most of the little aquatic critters that show up in our tank are normal and expected in a container of water that has organic matter in it, often this is a sign of a healthy system and these critters can even help with removal of organics, however, some can be a sign of a neglected tank too and a sign that a good cleaning/vacuuming is past due......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #8 
Drift

I did a good vacuuming today and removed my messy hornwort and the lovely driftwood they claimed as their hang out spot. I placed them in a critter keeper hanging out in the window for now. My hornwort needs some scissor wrangling as it grew at least a foot in 3 days. Haha!
They're the main decaying organic culprit in my tank.
I vacuum weekly for my water changes and all my water parameters are in good shape. =/
So I'm assuming they are the good ones, but I'll do some extra gravel vacuuming this week. :)