Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2010, 04:21 AM   #1 
browniefuzz

Newbie feeding question

I've only been feeding Fishy once a day, and only a few flakes then, because I was afraid of overfeeding. Am I starving the poor guy? He was last fed this morning... I'm going to go ahead and give him a snack now, since I feel bad for him. How much, and how often should a betta eat?

Oh, and the woman at the pet store recommended HBH Betta ColorBright flakes, so that's what we got. I see most people here seem to feed pellets and bloodworms. Should we switch over, or are the flakes ok for him?
browniefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:47 AM   #2 
LoveSGSE

Flakes aren't really nutritious. I'd recommend freeze dried bloodworms. Flakes also contaminate water easily. If you got freeze dried bloodworms, feed him 3 once day. Remember to fast him once a week
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #3 
bloo97

Frozen bloodworms shoulden't be given as food every day. I use Hikari Betta Bo Gold Pellets, and my fish love them. I feed them 4-5 pellets a day.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #4 
UrsMyrick

I'm glad I read this post- I think I've been underfeeding my fish. I thought that they should only have one to two pellets a day. Do you presoak yours prior to feeding? I've been doing that but they just seem to fall apart.
UrsMyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #5 
browniefuzz

See, this is why I wish I lived in a bigger town! I picked up the pellets at first, and the sales girl said, "Oh no! You want this! It's so much better for your betta." and sold us the flakes. Next time I'm at the store, I'll be picking up some better food for him.
browniefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:52 AM   #6 
LoveSGSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsMyrick View Post
I'm glad I read this post- I think I've been underfeeding my fish. I thought that they should only have one to two pellets a day. Do you presoak yours prior to feeding? I've been doing that but they just seem to fall apart.
Nope, it isnt really necessary to soak the pellets unless your betta is bloated.
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #7 
marhlfld

I had read a lot of good things about feeding the Hikari Bio Gold Betta food pellets. However, being the "label reader" person that I am, I discovered HBG has MSG and Red coloring in it. Mono-sodium Gultamate is a flavor enhancer, not to mention neuro-toxin for the brain and Red food coloring has been linked to hyperactivity, emotional problems and severe allergies.

We all know that MSG is bad for people... the majority of food manufacturers are no longer including it in their products because of public out cry. Example, Campbell soups has withdrawn it from most of their soups. Many food companies have even gone to great lenghts to state on their boxes/cans "Contains no MSG".

Apparently the Fish Food companies have not followed suit. I ask you, why would they have to add a flavor enhancer to their fish food? Or a colored dye? Hmmm?

I steered away from Hikari Bio Gold for those reasons alone. The first listed ingredient on HBG is Wheat Flour. Ummm, Bettas are meat eaters. Maybe some of our problems with feeding are not because we feed too much, but WHAT we are feeding our fish.

There are other Betta fish foods available that have more natural foods to feed (in addition to freeze dried or frozen worms, etc...) The food pellets I chose listed ingredients: Whole Anarctic Krill meal, Whole Herring Meal, Whole Wheat Flour (probably to hold the pellet form) Algae Meal, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vegetable and Fruit extracts and a list of other vitamins. NO MSG or Food Coloring.

I chose it because the first two ingredients were basically a form of meat protein. It wasn't any more expensive than the Hikari Bio Gold. Plus I'll feed freeze dried and frozen worms, shrimp, etc... alternatively.

Yep, I know there are those that will swear by the Hikari.. but in the long run, whose Bettas are thriving, not just surviving?

We are always trying our level best to take care of our fish, checking water parameters, water changes, giving them great designs in their living quarters with plants and caves and such, but are we paying attention to the basic food they eat too?

Just thought I'd give you some "food" for thought! :)
marhlfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

"The food pellets I chose listed ingredients: Whole Anarctic Krill meal, Whole Herring Meal, Whole Wheat Flour (probably to hold the pellet form) Algae Meal, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vegetable and Fruit extracts and a list of other vitamins. NO MSG or Food Coloring."

If that is New Life Spectrum - and it sounds like it is - that is what I use also and my fish are doing GREAT on it!!! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #9 
marhlfld

Yep, that's exactly what it is.
marhlfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by marhlfld View Post
Yep, that's exactly what it is.

Just out of curiosity, is that the ONLY thing you feed like they recommend or do you give your fish a variety?
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote