Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #1 
Phoxly

Snail Patrol

Whats the best method you guys have found for eliminating snail populations? I was thinking a clown loach or yoyo, but not in my 10 gallon. :( I don't have a HUGE problem, but I notice every pic I take of my aqurium has nasty snails all over it. and they are eating my java fern like its candy. I was thinking of putting some lettuce in a saucer and putting it at the bottom of my tank to lure them onto the vegies but I dont know if that works super well.... They are getting too big for my betta to pick at.

I haven't found any eggs, they are mostly older snails. I have 2 that are about the size of a penny, and I don't mind them, but its the tiny horn shaped ones that drive me nuts.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #2 
Tomsk

Try this thread,it has good info,

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/i...ail-faq-25186/

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

The snail is most likely eating dying or dead plant material, they usually don't eat healthy plants

I use a small clean glass jar and put an algae wafer or veggies of some type in it at lights out and remove each AM with light on..full of snails......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #4 
Phoxly

Oh thank you OLF. I might try that, they aren't too much of a hassle, only about 15-20 of them are actually in the tank on the substrate and plants but there are about 15-20 more that float around the top and crawl along the rim of the tank... I keep watching for eggs. lol
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote