Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2010, 01:25 AM   #21 
Adastra

Agreed. This environment is not suitable for some of the fish you're stocking it with--they have spatial needs as well as sanitation needs. At this point you're just asking for a disaster.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #22 
PeiMai

considering it is not "300%" over stocked, and considering that I was pretty much told that a 5gal tank is useless...umm no. I've sat here and listened to people tank about using divided tanks for their bettas. clear at that like it doesn't stress the fish out. Also this whole depth issue....you'd be better off with a ten long if you could find one. As far as numbers umm tell that to the cory I had for almost five years that never got above 2" in a Twenty gallon tank with a Jack Dempsey....that's it two fish twenty gallons and both lived quite happily. Not to mention that, despite your berating, I did mention that this was an experiment. I guess that missed you. Why don't you tell me what exactly you CAN keep in a 5gal tank? What one betta? and that's in that is the only fish that you can acceptably keep in a five gallon tank? Please, try not to be so condescending and enlighten me.
You are aware that over stocking is done routinely with HIGHLY territorial fish to cut down on aggression? I suppose you knew that already.

Last edited by PeiMai; 09-17-2010 at 02:25 PM.
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #23 
JorgeBurrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeiMai View Post
considering it is not "300%" over stocked, and considering that I was pretty much told that a 5gal tank is useless...umm no. I've sat here and listened to people tank about using divided tanks for their bettas. clear at that like it doesn't stress the fish out. Also this whole depth issue....you'd be better off with a ten long if you could find one. As far as numbers umm tell that to the cory I had for almost five years that never got above 2" in a Twenty gallon tank with a Jack Dempsey....that's it two fish twenty gallons and both lived quite happily. Not to mention that, despite your berating, I did mention that this was an experiment. I guess that missed you. Why don't you tell me what exactly you CAN keep in a 5gal tank? What one betta? and that's in that is the only fish that you can acceptably keep in a five gallon tank? Please, try not to be so condescending and enlighten me.
You are aware that over stocking is done routinely with HIGHLY territorial fish to cut down on aggression? I suppose you knew that already.
I feel sorry for your Jack Dempsey. They get up to 8-10 inches (I Would be surprised if yours got that large though) and need some swimming room. You don't seem to understand the difference between a fish surviving and a fish thriving. As long as you keep the water clean most fish will survive, and may even stay alive for many years. They will never thrive though and usually suffer stunted growth, reduced lifespan, increased susceptibility to disease, decreased activity, and increased overall stress. If you compare a fish in a properly sized aquarium to one in an aquarium that is undersized you will be amazed at the differences in behavior the fish will show. It is not hard to tell which one the fish is happier and thriving in.

Some people consider keeping a fish in too small of an aquarium animal cruelty which is why you are getting some of the responses you are.
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #24 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeBurrito View Post
I feel sorry for your Jack Dempsey. They get up to 8-10 inches (I Would be surprised if yours got that large though) and need some swimming room. You don't seem to understand the difference between a fish surviving and a fish thriving. As long as you keep the water clean most fish will survive, and may even stay alive for many years. They will never thrive though and usually suffer stunted growth, reduced lifespan, increased susceptibility to disease, decreased activity, and increased overall stress. If you compare a fish in a properly sized aquarium to one in an aquarium that is undersized you will be amazed at the differences in behavior the fish will show. It is not hard to tell which one the fish is happier and thriving in.

Some people consider keeping a fish in too small of an aquarium animal cruelty which is why you are getting some of the responses you are.
Fair enough actually he was probably about that I kept the tank pretty cleared out lots of room that was about 15 years ago and about 99% of this info was not out there or available to me. Considering that few if any have offered any constructive ideas all I see is people pointing there finger and not suggesting a solution. Instead they come off like condescending jerks and I have watched them play little elitist games and out right discourage beginners I find all that deplorable, but I don't act like a jerk.

Last edited by aunt kymmie; 09-22-2010 at 08:00 PM.
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #25 
zelilaa

I am ashamed at ALL of you. The last two pages of this thread are nothing but people calling names and 'pointing fingers'.
A) PeiMei, you are being an irresponsible fish owner.
B) Yall should be doing more then just calling PeiMai names!!

Ok, so here is what you CAN do. The tetras need a bigger tank. The corys would do OK in that tank by themselves, but add the cories with the betta and you get too overstocked. :/ SO please remove the tetras and betta. Put the betta in another 5 gallon tank if you have or can buy one. If not, Petsmart sells 2.5 gallon tanks for 15 dollars. That's what my betta George lives in.
At the end the tetras should be in their own 10 or 15 gallon tank. The betta should be in it's own small tank. The corys may stay in the 5 gallon, even though they would be better off in a 10 gallon with friends :3

You have to do this because the aquarium is overstocked. Having many live plants and a crazy overdone filter does help deal with ammonia levels, but does not help territorial and social needs of the fish. They need their own space and room to swim.

Your welcome. If you choose to disregard my well thought out advice, fine. But Please listen to me. I am giving you an explanation of everything you have to do and why.... so please pay attention.

If you cannot do this, or support so many tanks, or even afford so many tanks, please return the fish. AT LEAST return the tetras if you plan on keeping your fish together in the 5 gallon. Preferably if you do not want to buy more tanks, also return the cory cats or betta.
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #26 
MrVampire181

Um nothing but a betta can live in a 5 gallon. Enough said. A 10 gallon tank is only $10, just upgrade now before your ammonia hits an all time high and all the fish drop dead.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #27 
bloo97

You should just take out the other fish and leave the betta. That is the best way to keep your fish happy, and healthy. I'm sure that's what you want. (:
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #28 
zelilaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Um nothing but a betta can live in a 5 gallon. Enough said. A 10 gallon tank is only $10, just upgrade now before your ammonia hits an all time high and all the fish drop dead.
what i said about the corys i meant as... they can survive. but they are soo much better in the 10 gallon!
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #29 
bloo97

I agree.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote