Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #1 
Frizandi

Question Bloated fish

What's the best way to deflate a bloated betta fish? I think he's been overfed. I've cut back on his food after fasting him for a bit. He's definitely less bloated and much less lethargic. His appetite is good, but I don't want to overdo it again.

Currently he's getting Aquafin pellets, but I just bought him Betta Bio-Gold, which I have yet to give him. Since he blew up I've been giving him a pellet in the morning and one at night, but he's still a little bigger than he should be. What else can I try?

I also bought him some frozen brine shrimp, but I have NO IDEA how to give them to him. They're in little frozen cubes, and I don't know how to feed them to him, or how much. Can anyone out there push me in the right direction? He lives alone in a 2 1/2 gallon tank.

PS: Our other fish, Peanut Butter has completely recovered from his weird fungus thing of several months ago. I didn't think he would, but he beat the odds. Thank you for all your help on that!
Frizandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:46 AM   #2 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizandi View Post
What's the best way to deflate a bloated betta fish? I think he's been overfed. I've cut back on his food after fasting him for a bit. He's definitely less bloated and much less lethargic. His appetite is good, but I don't want to overdo it again.

Currently he's getting Aquafin pellets, but I just bought him Betta Bio-Gold, which I have yet to give him. Since he blew up I've been giving him a pellet in the morning and one at night, but he's still a little bigger than he should be. What else can I try?

I also bought him some frozen brine shrimp, but I have NO IDEA how to give them to him. They're in little frozen cubes, and I don't know how to feed them to him, or how much. Can anyone out there push me in the right direction? He lives alone in a 2 1/2 gallon tank.

PS: Our other fish, Peanut Butter has completely recovered from his weird fungus thing of several months ago. I didn't think he would, but he beat the odds. Thank you for all your help on that!
Nice to hear about peanut!

Okay here is what worked for me. When my betta got badly bloated and fasting didnt work. Boil a pea and let it cool down first of course, then the inside of the pea you will have to feed it to him feed him the entire thing but not the skin of the pea just the inside.

Also, rich foods like Frozen Brine Shrimp can add onto the bloating so dont feed him any rich foods. Use them as Little treats and such. Also they are very good for breeding but thats another topic.

When he looks normal again then you can feed him either the Frozen Brine Shrimp(FBS) or the pellets. i have both. what i do it just give my bettas a little pinch of the FBS because even a pinch is kinda a lot. Feed him only Two pellets a day and he should be normal and healthy the rest of the way.

So just so we are clear first fast him for 2-3 days, then if there is no improvement boil A pea and feed him the inside of the pea (not the skin) then when he goes back to normal, feed him little pinches of FBS if you want to or the pellets but only (2-3) pellets a day!!!

P.S. Sorry about the smileys i love smileys!!!

I hope this helped!

Bettalover
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #3 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Nice to hear about peanut!

Okay here is what worked for me. When my betta got badly bloated and fasting didnt work. Boil a pea and let it cool down first of course, then the inside of the pea you will have to feed it to him feed him the entire thing but not the skin of the pea just the inside.

Also, rich foods like Frozen Brine Shrimp can add onto the bloating so dont feed him any rich foods. Use them as Little treats and such. Also they are very good for breeding but thats another topic.

When he looks normal again then you can feed him either the Frozen Brine Shrimp(FBS) or the pellets. i have both. what i do it just give my bettas a little pinch of the FBS because even a pinch is kinda a lot. Feed him only Two pellets a day and he should be normal and healthy the rest of the way.

So just so we are clear first fast him for 2-3 days, then if there is no improvement boil A pea and feed him the inside of the pea (not the skin) then when he goes back to normal, feed him little pinches of FBS if you want to or the pellets but only (2-3) pellets a day!!!

P.S. Sorry about the smileys i love smileys!!!

I hope this helped!

Bettalover
Or instead of the pea method, (vegetable matter aint very good for betta's) you could try some live/freeze drized/frozen Daphnia (Water fleas).

You can either find them in ponds, or buy them fro any aquatic shop really
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

Well the boiled pea works great for me.

Bettalover
Old 08-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #5 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Well the boiled pea works great for me.

Bettalover

I never said it didnt work great.

What i said Was vegetable matter is not very good for betta's.

Their digestive system is designed for digesting meaty foods, not Vegetable food stuffs.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #6 
Frizandi

I tried to get Daphnia, but I've had no luck. I'll try the pea method first, but if I encounter the Daphnia anywhere I'll try that (if the pea doesn't work)

Wish me luck!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #7 
bettalover2033

trust me the pea works all you have to do is fast him after the pea:) i hope he gets better!!

Bettalover
Old 08-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #8 
BettaBoy84

One of my fish has a wierd belly, I hought it was reggs, but its more bloating on the sides...

HE is red, and the one side is also a dark color inside??
BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #9 
Frizandi

ok, now I'm beginning to panic. He looks more bloated today than he did the other day, and he's not really swimming around w hole lot. He also doesn't seem to be hungry. I tried the pea, but he didn't eat it. Daphnia is nowhere to be found in my neighborhood.

The reason I'm freaking is because we're supposed to leave for vacation tomorrow for a week and I'm leaving him (and the rest of my menagerie) in the care of my pet sitter. I'm not sure what to tell her to do. I'm not her only customer and she has pets of her own, so I can't expect her to spend a whole lot of time on the fish. She really specializes in dogs and cats.

What can I do?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #10 
BettaBoy84

IMO, as long as you give her a nice 100% water change with some de-chlor tell your sitter to feed her with something light like, dried blood worms once in the morning then at night, but only 3-5 worms.

I find even allowing for no feeding 2 days a week is a great way to allow for digestive process to recoup...
BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote